A Good Day

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

A Good Day

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:23 pm

Well a whiteout blizzard with 30 MPH winds is ongoing outside, Church services were cancelled and I am boycotting the NFL, so thought I would post about my day yesterday.

Spud and I got out for a short hunt in the morning and found a covey of Bobs.

After lunch, I showered and geared up for an afternoon archery deer hunt with the ever present hopes of taking a mature buck but plans to take a doe when the opportunity presented itself.

It was dead calm and I heard birds feeding in the weedy soybeans directly below my stand. Leaned forward and saw a covey of Bobs feeding. Got the camera woke up and got a couple of gem photos.

Saw a big mature 8 pt but not in archery range and a 7 too young to take. Pretty soon there were 15 antlerless deer feeding in the soybean, rye, radish plot I put in that field. When a doe fed into 28 yards I placed a good arrow and watched her go down a short distance away. 2019 supply of jalapeno cheese deer sausage and cheesy hotdogs has been secured. The Wife has declared she is no longer available to help load deer. The receiver hitch winch is worth every penny I paid for it. Still dragging the ones that die deep in the brush alone however, and man is that not getting any easier, (took a mature buck a couple of weeks ago that weighed 235 lbs. and the uphill drag alone was brutal).

The view as I pulled the Ranger into my driveway after loading the doe.

Last edited by AverageGuy on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: A Good Day

Postby jlw034 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:20 pm

Looks like a great day! Are you in IA? Family down there is not happy about the weather.

I wish I got more enjoyment out of sitting for deer, but I always wish I was out walking for birds. Deer is just so tastey though!
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:28 pm

I’d rate it a little higher than just good.

Ya know, if you cut a deer into smaller pieces, they’re so much easier to handle?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:50 pm

That's not a good day... that's a great day! Nicely done Spud. Judging from my buddy's report from Nebraska, I'd guess your in the same boat as him... in the cornhusker state.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:54 pm

Almost had a similar day today. We managed 4 limits of woodies this morning on a good little duck shoot. Proceeded this afternoon to put the wife on her very first deer. She was in the ladder stand I was simply sitting at the base of the tree. As day light started to peter out I heard her shuffling over head followed by the sound of the hammer coming back on the old 30-30. I finally found the nanny in my binoculars and waited for hammer to fall. She volleyed and I saw the young doe bolt. Gave it a good once over just to be sure but it was a clean miss. I felt so bad for her.
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:17 pm

I like the story and pictures,,,nice
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Willie T » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:23 am

Sounds like a great day AG! Your snow storm that also hit Kansas pretty good has flooded Texas with a big push of waterfowl...what a glorious time of year to be an outdoorsman.
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms