Birds of the Prairie

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Birds of the Prairie

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:17 pm

Made the trip out to North Dakota for 6 days of hunting with my duck hunting buddy and his yellow lab, as well as my shorthair, Rowdy. We hunted both dogs together all 6 days at the same time. We had zero issues with the lab pup wanting to range out with Rowdy, nor did the lab cause Rowdy to break point, even though I had to remind Rowdy with a "whoa" one of two times the lab flushed a bird over his point. We struggled hard to find birds the first two days of the trip. Rowdy had put in 44 miles after two days of hunting and we had seen 1 rooster and 2 hens, as well as 1 sharptail, which my buddy shot. We tried two different areas the first two days and on the third day we tried yet another completely new area.

We walked some incredible pheasant cover on the third day and put up 3 dozen pheasant, 3 coveys of huns and 15 sharptails. Windy as all hell which made for some tough shooting and jumpy birds, but I ended up with 2 roosters and 2 sharptail and my buddy shot 2 roosters. Rowdy logged 29 miles on the Garmin that day.

The 4th day we tried different properties and chunks of state land in that general area and again found more birds, this time putting up 10 or 12 pheasant and 5 sharptails. I ended up limiting out on roosters over Rowdy points and whiffing the easiest dinner shot on a covey of sharptails I've ever had. My buddy ended up shooting 2 roosters as well that day and Rowdy put in 15 miles.

The 5th day the temps hit 70 degrees and we drove around to small sections and did 3 small hunts for roosters. Two of the sections were unproductive but the 2nd one we tried held a nice mature rooster, which both dogs were tracking, when it hit the end of the tree row where it met a fence and wild flushed. I knocked it down dead on the second shot and Rowdy got the retrieve through the fence. We then drove an hour to a completely different area to try our luck there for our last day and on our way home.

On the 6th day we knew we had to make the drive back home so we only hunted 3 hours in the morning but man was it productive. We put up 12 to 15 pheasant and a covey of huns as well. I limited on roosters, while my buddy got a rooster and a hun. He said it was the first hun he had shot in 40 years. All in all it was a much needed vacation during our busiest time of year at work. Nothing like emptying your mind and following your dog on the prairie.

"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Birds of the Prairie

Postby ryanr » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:08 pm

Rowdy, if you don't mind me asking what happened to your young DK?
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:33 pm

He died of bloat in May of 2017.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:47 am

Great Trip, Thanks for taking us along.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:13 am

Looks like the birds eventually cooperated. Great you could find 'em. Huns aren't very common where I've hunted. Think they're more toward the east? Not many Sharptails either, too far south or something? Shot one or two one day and that was it.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby greg jacobs » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:32 am

Nice!
greg jacobs
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby J D Patrick » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:57 am

good times, congrats
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:28 pm

A great time. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:49 pm

Thanks. Enjoying the out of state trips I've taken so far this year, the birds we've encountered, as well as the people. I especially love traveling east and south.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:25 pm

Great post glad to see someone is getting it done. Nice to see birds that do not fly in the skies around here.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:12 pm

Rowdy,
Thank you for the post. If I read it correctly, you shot a couple of more birds with you pointer versus your friends lab. Very few issue with the lab and pointer. So it seems to me , you have validated what i have been saying for years. You dont really need to have a pointer to have success with upland birds?

I have no doubt that your dog ran many more miles than the lab, yet amazingly, it produced very few more birds?????

So really what we are left with is this. You dont need to have a pointer to hunt upland birds.

Not readily apparent in the post is quality of breeding and training. There were no complaints of obedience with either dog other than the pointer breaking when the lab flushed. That takes some effort to control, so no real fault there.

I think this justifies my position that no matter the breed , its up to us to make the best of the dog.

I hate to ask but, was there a cause of the bloat with your dog that we may learn from? Very sorry to hear!
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:55 am

Wow, you really used a lot of science based research to come up with that conclusion Kiger. Was it peered reviewed too?

Shouldn’t really matter which dogs produce the most. I’m sure head to head some pointers are better than flushers and in other situations some flushers might be better. Maybe a mutt from the pound will out produce your flusher. Who cares, just get whatever breed or mutt that you want and go hunt! To each their own.
Sooty42
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Deuce » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:50 am

Damn man, looks like a great week! Awesome photos and glad the pieces fell together as the week went on. Keep up the good work!
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:24 am

I hate to see you wasted a paragraph or two Kiger, but like I've said before. I see a post you write and I immediately stop reading and skip to the next. Have a great day, Kiger.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:55 am

Nice jobs guys. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post photos. Keep it up!
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Hunting & Firearms