Coyote encounter

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Coyote encounter

Postby STait » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:36 pm

My 10 month old female pointer Annie got into a coyote at 750 yards while hunting sage grouse. I was about a half mile from the truck so I ran back, but couldn't follow her and her new friend. I had to back track and get up on a hill behind and to my right. By the time I got a signal on my Astro she was 1.4 miles away and on her way back. She was unscathed...whew!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfnaF323Z5M
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Coyote encounter

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:57 am

That is getting out there!

Interesting country Steve. Is that Sage Grouse country or what birds were you hunting in that type of terrain?

Spud was within a few feet of a coyote last week in SD when I got on the ecollar and put an end to it. He got ahold of one last year before I broke that up. Coyotes are often paired up and two on one may not go so well for the dog.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:21 am

I've not worried too much about a single one but sometimes there's more in waiting and the one is just a decoy. My old Griff couldn't run one down but the youngster could. Scared the heck out of me.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:58 am

AverageGuy wrote:That is getting out there!

Interesting country Steve. Is that Sage Grouse country or what birds were you hunting in that type of terrain?

Spud was within a few feet of a coyote last week in SD when I got on the ecollar and put an end to it. He got ahold of one last year before I broke that up. Coyotes are often paired up and two on one may not go so well for the dog.

Yes, WY sage grouse. I think I ran her without the ecollar, but didn't after that encounter. I was lucky.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:17 am

orhunter wrote:I've not worried too much about a single one but sometimes there's more in waiting and the one is just a decoy. My old Griff couldn't run one down but the youngster could. Scared the heck out of me.

In the same way that I don't "worry" about the dog hitting a skunk or porky, I'd most seriously like to avoid the whole vet/stitches/penicillin routine altogether. I lost a day of hunting last year to a skunk incident. That's miserable when you're only there for four-five days. I can't imagine even the hardest, meanest dog from some cabbage-stinking eastern bloc state doesn't walk away from a Coyote Scrap without a need for some veterinary attention.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:25 pm

The reason I got Otto was to predator hunt. He has gotten into multiple coyote many times and has never been injured. Mostly they just nip and harass trying and get him to leave their territory. I like to watch the show personally. Otto is a big boy compared to a 35 to 40 pound coyote he is more than equipped to take care of himself. He also knows dad carries a gun and if they get close enough BANG. He loves to chase down the wounded/dead and finish them off. Otto like his coyotes shaken not stirred.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:48 pm

I am ascared of getting my dog tore up LongHammer, But that does not mean you have to be. I did the whole dog vs furbearer scene quite a bit when I was young and am far less keen for it these days.

One thing however is our yotes in this part of the country make two of the average yote in the SW. And they pack up. In Alberta a beautiful and large well furred Alpha Male and Female pair did their best to bait Spud out. Stood at just the very edge of shotgun range barking at Spud, while my Brother and I stood in plain sight hollering and waving for them to move on. Took some Prairie Storm to finally get that done. Back when the yotes around here would run to a mouth blown Burnhams Brothers call I called in and shotgunned quite a few. One weighed 48 lbs, with over 40 per an accurate scale being common, and other folks around took even larger ones. When they get that size they get pretty formidable.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:10 pm

LongHammer wrote:The reason I got Otto was to predator hunt. He has gotten into multiple coyote many times and has never been injured. Mostly they just nip and harass trying and get him to leave their territory. I like to watch the show personally. Otto is a big boy compared to a 35 to 40 pound coyote he is more than equipped to take care of himself. He also knows dad carries a gun and if they get close enough BANG. He loves to chase down the wounded/dead and finish them off. Otto like his coyotes shaken not stirred.

How big is Otto? What kind of dog?
My Griff really wants to get after yotes when we see them on our early morning walks through my neighborhood (he’s on a leash so nothing happens). His reaction is totally different than if we see a dog. Not sure if it’s becsuse a dog is usually on a leash and a coyote is not, or if he just realizes they are different. I definitely think he would chase them if he was off leash.
Sooty42
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:16 pm

I ran into a fellow several years ago with a Wirehair that had killed five coyotes at that point in time. The dog wasn't particularly large but looked like he could run. No matter what the dog had accomplished, I think if he encountered a hunting party, the tide would turn and the outcome not pretty at all. I started carrying buckshot in my vest because running into Cougars is just as likely as running into Coyotes these days.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:34 pm

His reaction is totally different than if we see a dog. Not sure if it’s becsuse a dog is usually on a leash and a coyote is not, or if he just realizes they are different. I definitely think he would chase them if he was off leash.

Every dog I have been around that encounters a ‘yote from our little lap dog to my Griff knows it’s a threat and behaves likewise...Something ingrained in them that causes an alarm response and rally the pack!
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby LongHammer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Otto is a GWP and weighs between 75 and 80 pounds. I in my area coyotes don't see full sized dogs as food. There are a lot easier meals out there. Otto started predator hunting at 5 months old he is now 4. He has taken more damage from barbed wire fences than predators. I wached him play tag with a pack of six coyotes for 10 minutes before one got close enough to shoot. I do not expect Otto to be fighting with coyotes but he sure loves mixing it up a little. It is not for everyone but we sure enjoy it.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Actually that does sound like fun. I have seen Curs working in that fashion.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Stretch » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:56 am

I have running hounds and love watching one roll a coyote out in the wide open and seeing the fur fly. It takes a pretty good to whip a coyote one on one, ivory to ivory.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:26 am

Stretch wrote:I have running hounds and love watching one roll a coyote out in the wide open and seeing the fur fly. It takes a pretty good to whip a coyote one on one, ivory to ivory.

What kind of dogs do those guys use? Sight Hounds? Sight Hound Mixes? Terrier/Lurcher types?
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Stretch » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:52 pm

Track driving dogs that catch gears when they see the game. There is way to much timber around here for sight dogs.
Attachments
F6911238-7147-4F4A-995F-929105582CE9.jpeg
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion