Snapping at Children

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Snapping at Children

Postby Libertyrocks » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:42 am

My dog got fat this last off-season and weight wasn’t coming off very easily, partially because my wife sneaks him food while I’m at work. I explained how dangerous the extra weight is during hunting season and now the weight is miraculously coming off.

He is a five year ago intact male, and has had some dominance and territorial aggression, but he was always fantastic around kids.

Now that the weight is falling off, his disposition has changed. He started snapping at children without warning when he no longer wanted to be petted. I took him in for blood work; his thyroid was normal but he tested positive for Lyme disease. A further blood test determined he did not need to be treated for Lyme.

We no longer let him around children. It’s not as easy as it sounds, because neighborhood kids love him. Kids would often come into our yard to pet him and give him sticks. They’ll even ring the doorbell and ask if he can come out to play.

While I’ll never trust him around children again, I wonder if his disposition will stabilize with his weight. I’m seriously considering neutering him, but I’m told it won’t make a difference in a five year old dog. The downside is his weight will be even more difficult to manage. Others say neutering will help after 6 to 12 months.
Libertyrocks
Pup
Pup

Re: Snapping at Children

Postby JONOV » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:36 pm

Libertyrocks wrote:My dog got fat this last off-season and weight wasn’t coming off very easily, partially because my wife sneaks him food while I’m at work. I explained how dangerous the extra weight is during hunting season and now the weight is miraculously coming off.

He is a five year ago intact male, and has had some dominance and territorial aggression, but he was always fantastic around kids.

Now that the weight is falling off, his disposition has changed. He started snapping at children without warning when he no longer wanted to be petted. I took him in for blood work; his thyroid was normal but he tested positive for Lyme disease. A further blood test determined he did not need to be treated for Lyme.

We no longer let him around children. It’s not as easy as it sounds, because neighborhood kids love him. Kids would often come into our yard to pet him and give him sticks. They’ll even ring the doorbell and ask if he can come out to play.

While I’ll never trust him around children again, I wonder if his disposition will stabilize with his weight. I’m seriously considering neutering him, but I’m told it won’t make a difference in a five year old dog. The downside is his weight will be even more difficult to manage. Others say neutering will help after 6 to 12 months.

I don't think that neutering him will help his disposition. That doesn't make it a bad idea, but I think its often touted for a cure-all for aggression type issues and it doesn't cure most of those problems. I've seen enough of that firsthand.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:26 pm

The QuantC6 has come under review recently as not telling us what we originally thought.

I’d request a 30 day course of Doxycycline and see if his behavior improves.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:28 am

What MissK said. He doesn't feel good.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Libertyrocks » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:52 am

Thank you all for your replies.

I'll get started on a Doxy right away. If that doesn't help, I'll reconsider neutering.
Libertyrocks
Pup
Pup

Postby roosterbrews » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:38 pm

My PP is very friendly but over a two month period he started growling and snapping at people he likes. He turned out to have Blastomycosis and just didnt feel good. Id keep testing to see if something else is wrong.
roosterbrews
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby LongHammer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:15 pm

Otto doesn't care much for drunks or children. I have one rule kids can call him if he comes to you pet him. If you call and he stays you leave him alone. Drunks I warn 1 time then they are on their own. I also had I don't like kids engraved in his collar in case we get separated. Anyone who finds him will know not to put him in their kids room.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:15 pm

Otto doesn't care much for drunks or children. I have one rule kids can call him if he comes to you pet him. If you call and he stays you leave him alone. Drunks I warn 1 time then they are on their own. I also had I don't like kids engraved in his collar in case we get separated. Anyone who finds him will know not to put him in their kids room.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Duckdon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:36 am

Cut him. You don't want those genetics to pass on.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion