Large breed adult food?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Large breed adult food?

Postby Sooty42 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:45 pm

I understand the reasons for large breed puppy food, but is there a need for large breed adult food? My Griff is 13 months old, 57 lbs, intact male. I assume he’ll fill out a little more, but probably not to much. He’s been on large breed puppy food and I’m about to switch him to adult. Do you think he still needs large breed or regular adult food? Thanks
Sooty42
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Large breed adult food?

Postby orhunter » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:58 am

I look at ingredients, protein, protein source fat, fat source, filler, not much more.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:42 am

Sooty42 wrote:I understand the reasons for large breed puppy food, but is there a need for large breed adult food? My Griff is 13 months old, 57 lbs, intact male. I assume he’ll fill out a little more, but probably not to much. He’s been on large breed puppy food and I’m about to switch him to adult. Do you think he still needs large breed or regular adult food? Thanks

There are a lot of good foods out there, but I'll tell you, don't overthink this. I wasted a lot of time and energy researching things when the work was largely done for me and my dog really didn't seem to care or register a difference.

There are a handful of good foods out there, Purina Pro Plan is hard to beat. Diamond, Victor, are also popular. Costco CHicken and Rice isn't a bad one either.

I think that we largely miss that in the absence of an allergy, sensitive stomach, etc, your unlikely to note a difference in the dog.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Dakotazeb » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:36 pm

I guess I don't see a 57 lb. Griff as a large dog. I think when they say "Large Breed" they are talking about really large breeds of dogs. I don't think any of our hunting breeds (Labs, Griffs, GSP's, GWP's, etc.) are considered Large Breed. I'd feed him an adult formula. Another excellent food to look at is NutriSource.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:52 pm

After growth is completed, large breed foods generally have very limited usefulness. It’s mostly a marketing term to capture the people who would continue the same brand and major protein/carbohydrates.

Large breed adult foods have larger kibble sizes, which generally doesn’t matter to working dogs that will eat anything. Many have glucosamine added, but since its at sub therapeutic levels, it’s pretty pointless.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:57 pm

Thanks for the replies!
You’re probably right, I am maybe overthinking it. And yes, 57 lbs does not seem like a large breed to me either, but most pet food companies say 50 lbs and up is large breed.

One pet food company said that large breed foods are less calorically dense so that you have to feed more food. Supposedly the more bulk in a feeding the better large breeds digest their food.

I’ll probably just go with a regular adult food, since it sounds like that’s probably what most people on here do and I assume a lot of these dogs are larger than mine.

I’m also slowly moving him to one feeding in the evening so I don’t have to worry about excercising on a full stomach, what do you think?
Sooty42
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:14 am

Yes, one feeding. The absolute most a dog should get in the AM is a snack and well before exercise. I try to feed at 5:00 so the dog is ready to pitch a loaf before we hunt the next day.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion