What does your 8 week to 12 week training look like?

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

What does your 8 week to 12 week training look like?

Postby Queso » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:36 pm

My 9 week old Brittany can do all of the very basic comands but she doesnt always do them. I desperately want to move on and come back to address issues later. Why waste the formative months. We could be having bit more fun especially in these times of bonding. Thankfully I get both a permit to raise aa well as release Northern Bobwhite obtained from a producer recommended by the state.
I guess I'm asking what does an experienced trainer expect to be working on at weeks 9 , 10, 11 ect...The pup will happily go up and down the training table but am I missing an opportunity to work on whoa or something. I really would go by the book but EVERY book is different. Well this dog training stuff is not easy to the uninformed so I've joined CNEBC and am noting every event of any kind I can get to. I'm afraid that I might not make the gun dog out of this girl that I know she could be.
Queso
Pup
Pup

Re: What does your 8 week to 12 week training look like?

Postby orhunter » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:53 am

Sounds like your several months ahead of the dog. Back off, you're not there yet. At 12 weeks, I'm working with a leash and check cord doing fetch, come, whoa. Lots of free running and leash time for the obedience and leash manners. I don't expect much for quite some time but we do it anyhow.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:50 am

The pup is just too young to do what you are expecting from it. If you continue to demand too much from the dog, you may very well ruin her. A good trainer helps develop the dog's natural ability, not try to make a robot out of her. A poor trainer can cause a dog to never reach its potential.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby mastercaster » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:29 am

I just did obedience work during that time frame. Lots of mini training sessions so she wasn't over whelmed,,,,,recall, wait/stay, on your bed, kennel up, off (so she wouldn't jump upon you), fun retrieves with a favourite toy, outside?, and lots of "No!" and "Leave it!" when the occasion arose.
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:41 am

I have limited experience but my pup has turned out well so far. At that age they should just be getting use to you and their new family and house. Potty training, napping and eating takes up a lot of their time. Other than that, similar to what others have said, get use to collar/leash, a couple short and easy retrieves each day, and work on recall. Everything should be in very short sessions/few repetitions. Take it slow and enjoy the pup because they grow up fast.
Sooty42
Started
Started

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:22 pm

Here, puppy push-ups (sit, down, stand for treats), house manners, fun retrieves in the hallway
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:09 pm

Be sure to let the pup drag around a 6' to 8' check cord as often as possible.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1450 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Queso » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:21 pm

I've been taking it real slowly. My biggest concern was that we were going to slowly. My biggest success so far has been prepping her to take over the copilot position in my truck. Right now I really am not demanding anything of her. I have been running like crazy to get to the dumping zone with her so shes doing well with the house breaking.
I have been doing as many things as I can with her and the only thing she indicated she would rather not see was the pounding surf at the beach. Actually your responses have been eye opening. I have been under the impression that t
I should have specific training goals that should be met at
specific times.
I am curious though if there are books specifically for Brittany's. The book "Close Cover" and "The Close Working Bird Dog" seem harsh for a Brits temperament. I read through the Green Book and there some great sections but much of that see.s harsh as well.
I guess I'll slow down and mix fun and training.
Thanks so much
Queso
Pup
Pup

Postby orhunter » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:54 am

I started out with Britts, they are anything but close working. Controlling a dog's range is counter productive for the dog developing a good search. We have pointing dogs specifically for their wide ranging search and we don't want to hinder that in any way. As long as the dog is cooperative, hunts for you and not a self hunter, everything is fine. Breed specific books are a gimmick, we all want the same thing in our pointers and we all get there the same way. The only thing we need to be aware of is the individual dog's personality and quirks and figure out how to deal with them should they occur. Training has no schedule, everything is up to the dog. Don't give it more than it can handle, you have all the time in the world. A lot of a pups training is about what you don't do, let its natural ability come to the surface through lots of exposure to the great outdoors. In a word, opportunity. Pup will surprise you is you just sit back and watch and be patient.

One thing I would do is begin gun exposure asap. Make sure you do it right as I've learned Britts can be a little sensitive.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:10 am

Queso, the time for serious training will come but it's not here yet. My advice to you is to ease up. You have a little bitty puppy. The things I do that I consider training with a little puppy that age are potty training, and gentle exposure to gunfire. More importantly the activities I do with a little one are geared toward winding his spring. A lot of bird exposure, being careful how I set things up so pup does not catch the bird. At that age I like to see a pup that wants to chase a bird. That same desire as a puppy to chase birds is the same desire that will pull it to run through snow, ice, briars, and about any other obstacle that may be between it and seeking birds. I would also stoke the desire to retrieve. Anticipate the puppy wanting you to chase it and set your simple retrieves up so that never happens. Fan that spark till it glows red hot. That's about it right now for me.
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:38 am

Most of that age was spent on obedience and making the dog a house and family pet. Would still drag wings through grass and scatter food and treats to make them use their nose. Was no formal training, just building a good foundation.
jarbo03
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:27 am

Jarbo uses a key word, "foundation." Far too many folks get into training before a foundation has been established. The pup's age is part of that foundation, we can't rush the calendar.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:58 pm

It was mentioned in one of the post that brits tend to be sensitive. Both of mine, a mother and then her daughter, were anything but! I owned them back in the eighties and early nineties and I really didn't have to teach them anything about hunting because I was lucky enough to get them on wild pheasants that were plentiful at that time where I lived. I hunted them almost every day of the season so with all that exposure they basically figured it out on their own. They knew just how far to range based on the topography of the land we were hunting. I hunted the daughter hard for 14 years,,,,she lived until she was 17 1/2 before I had to put her down.
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Dmog » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:00 am

I too am starting to be trained my a new pup. 10 weeks and we did vet shots, car rides, water exposure, 22 blanks out in the field, running with the older dog, now starting to taker her out on her own(noticed that she just wants to play with other dog), crate training, "No", housebreaking, dragging a leash, anchored with a lease, did I say "No", bonding and being spoiled, searching for food in the grass, waving a pigeon in front of her and letting it fly and her chase once she showed she was not intimidated by it, 22 blanks when she is chasing, swimming again, "No". Exposure to dogs, kids, adults, car rides. Here. Once she shows more interest in the field and grows a bit we will search for wild birds. Starting to work on retrieves, dont know what I am missing but I am sure she will give me clues when we are ready to move to the next stage which is at least a few weeks down the road.
Mog: Half man, half woolly dog.
Dmog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:55 pm

You should definitely have specific goals for training your bird dog but not necessarily a hard, fast timeline. Right now your dog is a puppy and it should be allowed to be a puppy for quite some time. However that doesn't mean it shouldn't be learning obedience and manners. If you can tech your pup two things, Come and Whoa would be my choice and quite frankly, Come is good enough right now. Leash manners are a good idea too and I'd definitely get exposure to gunfire completed. As far as everything else, it's just exposure without pressure in both the field and water. Formal work for that comes much further down the road. I go hiking with my dogs through fields, forests, marshes, streams, ponds, etc alot as pups and even as adults. I let them roll, exploring and having fun and occassionally checking in with me. Throifh this exposure they develop the abilities and instincts they've already been genetically gifted. Formal training just teaches them manners in the field and teamwork with me as their hunting companion.

Example of learning from exposure: middle of last week my older dog found and killed a groundhog and my younger dog 15 months) watched it. Well, on Saturday I found my younger dog with her head and front paws down in a groundhog hole. Took a little convincing to get her to leave it. Also earlier last week somebody must've released a few quail on a nearby State Gamelands and both of my dogs found and pointed them. I was just taking them for a fun run, no formal training.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Training