Need advice on trash breaking a dog

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Need advice on trash breaking a dog

Postby mastercaster » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:03 pm

One of my hopes when I got my griff a year and a half ago, besides hunting upland and waterfowl, was to be able to take her on deer hunts with me. While we haven't encountered any deer close by since I've been hiking with her I don't want her to chase deer if we happen to stumble onto one,,,,and I certainly DON"T want it to happen while out hunting them.

I've read how you go about trash breaking dogs on ungulates (deer) BUT if I go through the process with my dog will it stop her from wanting to blood track them, too? I should mention that it's legal up here in BC to use a dog to track dead game that couldn't be located so my question is,,,,, will a dog who's been trained not to chase deer still want to track them?
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Need advice on trash breaking a dog

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:53 pm

mastercaster wrote: so my question is,,,,, will a dog who's been trained not to chase deer still want to track them?

Yes. See my post titled Blood Tracking.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:00 am

mastercaster wrote:One of my hopes when I got my griff a year and a half ago, besides hunting upland and waterfowl, was to be able to take her on deer hunts with me. While we haven't encountered any deer close by since I've been hiking with her I don't want her to chase deer if we happen to stumble onto one,,,,and I certainly DON"T want it to happen while out hunting them.

I've read how you go about trash breaking dogs on ungulates (deer) BUT if I go through the process with my dog will it stop her from wanting to blood track them, too? I should mention that it's legal up here in BC to use a dog to track dead game that couldn't be located so my question is,,,,, will a dog who's been trained not to chase deer still want to track them?

Simple answer, Yes. You can trash break and still blood track.
Chasing and blood tracking are 2 different things entirely.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:19 pm

AverageGuy wrote:
mastercaster wrote: so my question is,,,,, will a dog who's been trained not to chase deer still want to track them?

Yes. See my post titled Blood Tracking.

I followed that thread as responses came through. It was very informative! I learn a lot from it and will follow this methodology when I get to that point of my griff's training. Still working on a few other things right now.
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Training