Fox or alternative

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Fox or alternative

Postby Mooster » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:23 pm

Has anyone ever used anything other than a fox for the VGP? I've heard raccoons are acceptable. My dog doesn't really like the fox, but I can get him to do it. I'm just worried he'll reject it the day of the test, b/c it's definitely a struggle at this point. Someone told me that he may see a coon as more of a prey animal rather than a similar species. Anyone with any experience with this?
Mooster
Pup
Pup

Re: Fox or alternative

Postby huntinmo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:43 pm

In North America there is an exception and either the fox, raccoon, or coyote can be used in the VGP. Raccoons are usually easier to come by in most locations. You can use whatever you want for training, but in the test the minimum weight requirement must be observed and the animal must be in its original unaltered condition.
huntinmo
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:45 am

I’ve used both. Coons are a LOT easier to find, but we also leave them in the field on the regular, and my dog decided to refuse the coon on the drag. I don’t know if she was tired or our regular hunting practices contributed, but I used a fox with my second dog and had far fewer problems. Second dog was also much easier to train to retrieve in general so who knows if it would have mattered to her.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CohanseyDD » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:24 pm

I use both, but coons are definitely easier to come by. They also seem to be more favorable to most dogs. Fox are tough because they're so long they often get stepped on. Coons are tough because of their wide girth and how much their bodies roll. In hot conditions a large coon can make breathing tough for some dogs.
CohanseyDD
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby SMAbby » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:17 pm

I always use a vixon fox and will never use anything else.
OP said that he would like to use a coon because he dog doesnt like the fox. Tough, IMO you work him through it. What happens if he decides to not like the coon?
I know it takes a lot of time, effort and hard work to get to this level and we just want to get through it. Not judging what people chose to use.
Have you "Plated" with him with the fox? Is it a male fox? Is it a big fox. All of these things can factor into it.
I have KLMs ranging in the size range of 37lbs to 55 lbs. Height from 19.7 inches to 22 inches. All can handle the bulkiness of the fox with proper conditioning and training.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to German and European Testing Systems