Another food question...

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Another food question...

Postby hicntry » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:44 pm

In view of the subject at hand and and the weight folks put on "studies", here is a study that would shed some light on the real value of puppy chows. It would be really interesting to have a comparison of the prevalence of pano in pups raised on puppy chows versus pups that were just fed a good adult food. When I fed puppy chows, most pups developed pano. When I quit feeding puppy chows(which was before the chows for large breeds), I never had another pup with pano. I think puppy chows created more problems than they ever solved.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:10 pm

hicntry wrote:In view of the subject at hand and and the weight folks put on "studies", here is a study that would shed some light on the real value of puppy chows. It would be really interesting to have a comparison of the prevalence of pano in pups raised on puppy chows versus pups that were just fed a good adult food. When I fed puppy chows, most pups developed pano. When I quit feeding puppy chows(which was before the chows for large breeds), I never had another pup with pano. I think puppy chows created more problems than they ever solved.

Right. They are too rich for large breed dogs. So they did more studies, and discovered calcium was the specific cause. Now there’s large breed and small breed “chows” and the large breed foods are better than adult foods because the problem was pinpointed - about 20 years ago.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:07 pm

I probably quit puppy chows about 30+ years ago. Raised a lot of pups after that and they all did well on adult food with no rapid growth spurts. Processed baby foods are not popular because they are more nutritious, it is for their convenience. People could accomplish the same thing with a blender but it would be a major pita. I raised a lot of pups on adult food and they all did well even being raised outside all winter. One reason may be they were all free fed so they could adjust their in take according to what their body dictated. They were healthy enough that for the last 20 years they didn't need veterinary care.....but that may have been partially due to not giving vaccinations. Hard too tell which was most beneficial.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion