So I have a question.

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

So I have a question.

Postby LongHammer » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:48 pm

What do you do it is 112 during the day and the low is 89 degrees. How do you train your dog for the coming season. It is far too hot to even keep him in shape let alone do any training. What do you do?
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: So I have a question.

Postby orhunter » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:07 pm

Sit in the shade and have a beer.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:08 am

No real training swim him behind a kayak or do some obedience.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:00 am

Move to somewhere nice.
Here in N.E. WA we are an average of 75 in the afternoon and under 50 at nite.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1420 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:27 pm

Crack of dawn water work is about all you can do. I hate training in the summer, it has been hot in N.C. too, trying to work with my pup quartering to a whistle in the field early morning about 30 minutes ,then go to water work. got to keep pushing he test 11/2/18 for his HZP. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:53 am

Sounds Brutal LH. Working water is your only option. I use my dummy launcher and work long marks but I keep it short as the top of the water around here gets really warm after days of intense sunshine and heat so the cooling effect for the dog is greatly reduced.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:05 am

You guys in the south have it tough that is for sure. In Alberta every day is a good day. I recommend water work, the more the better.

If you can keep your dog wet, you can do a little field work too. As has been said heat is very hard on a dog. Believe it or not where I live it is said "you can't make a dog too cold" and as long as they can get out of the wind I agree.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:29 pm

We go to the lake and work on water retrieves, or walk like normal.

It’s funny, I’ll talk to someone in Wisconsin or MN and they have the luxury of saying, we don’t train in that weather. Well, in NC that’s not an option. I have found walking trails and greenways that are 90% shaded, and follow a river or creek. I go late evening, and the dog can hop in the river to cool off.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby blue04 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:08 pm

I think I've posted this before, but if you can find a hydro dam that's a great place to swim your dogs when it's hot. The water coming out the bottom of the dam is roughly 50 degrees f. Even in 100 degree weather, 50 degree water will keep your dog from overheating. Just make sure you read the generation schedules. If they flip the generators on, the water can get crazy dangerous quickly.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:18 am

On the days we can get out early we're in the field by 0700. On the days we can't, I take her to the lake for a swim. Mine needs real exercise every other day or she's miserable.
Urban_Redneck
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:35 pm

blue04 wrote:I think I've posted this before, but if you can find a hydro dam that's a great place to swim your dogs when it's hot. The water coming out the bottom of the dam is roughly 50 degrees f. Even in 100 degree weather, 50 degree water will keep your dog from overheating. Just make sure you read the generation schedules. If they flip the generators on, the water can get crazy dangerous quickly.

Jeez...Not sure how comfortable I'd feel with that.

Though the water in the lake was quite frankly, HOT yesterday.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 pm

JONOV wrote:
blue04 wrote:I think I've posted this before, but if you can find a hydro dam that's a great place to swim your dogs when it's hot. The water coming out the bottom of the dam is roughly 50 degrees f. Even in 100 degree weather, 50 degree water will keep your dog from overheating. Just make sure you read the generation schedules. If they flip the generators on, the water can get crazy dangerous quickly.

Jeez...Not sure how comfortable I'd feel with that.

Though the water in the lake was quite frankly, HOT yesterday.

I live across from a state park with a lake that has a tailwater (bottom) release. It's not a hydro dam but even with most hydro dams the release are often posted or at least warning sirens sound to announce a release. Unless you're right near the outlet, you have time as the waters begin to rise and flow increase. I can run my dogs in the summer heat in the field next to the tailwater and cool their temperature down quickly in the 55 degree water.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:54 pm

Interesting to read the replies. We have no local lakes rivers or ponds besides irrigation canals and they are very warm pushing 90. I have found hot water work worse than getting them wet and letting them run even above 105. I usually take him out at 9 pm wet him down with the hose and we do sprints after multiple bumpers till the bottom of his tongue gets a curl. Then he gets the hose again gets a drink then I let him search the bushes for 5 minutes to cool down and dry off. It is funny the pavement is still so hot he runs into all the yards with grass on his retrieves then back on the side walk for gravels yards then back in the grass. I probably should have got a short hair but who wants a beardless dog?
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Training