Rescue Dog Has Hunting Traits

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Rescue Dog Has Hunting Traits

Postby kellers228 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:42 pm

Hello. I’m new and honestly I know nothing about hunting dogs. However a year and a half ago I adopted Layla. She was 7 months old and found in the woods. She is maybe part pit bull. She does this thing where she “points” her nose straight ahead and lifts one paw. My husband thinks maybe she was being trained to hunt.

She loves to swim and I’ll take her to a local lake, but all she does is pull sticks out of the water, drops it and goes back for another...which is fine. Except today she swam out, grabbed a HUGE branch and couldn’t get it back to shore. She was gasping and swallowing water. I was terrified, yelling at her to “leave it”. I was poised to jump in after her when she finally let go and swam back. If this is something she has been trained to do I would appreciate any insight into what I need to know to keep her safe.
I have a video of her “retrieving” sticks if that helps
Thank you
kellers228
Pup
Pup

Re: Rescue Dog Has Hunting Traits

Postby Spindog » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:18 pm

First of all cheers to you for you rescue of Layla. Pointing with a foot in the air is nothing you can "train" it is an instinct to stalk. She is holding her foot in the air because she is afraid to put it down and make any noise. She must smell or see something she is interested in. I would not be too worried about her drowning while fetching sticks. Most dogs know when they are in trouble and the self preservation instinct kicks in. Would love to see some pictures of Video of her.
Dan J.
Guinness Da Grazia Male Spinone RIP Buddy
Macello Da Grazia Male Spinone Brown & White RIP Chow
Hidalgo's Leonardo da Vinci Male Bracco Italiano Orange & White
.ǝɯıʇ ɐ ʇɐ pɹıq ǝuo uʍop ǝpısdn p1ɹoʍ bop pɹıq ǝɥʇ buıuɹnʇ .ǝuouıds uɐı1ɐʇı
Spindog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:34 pm

Picture of your Layla please!
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby kellers228 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:33 pm

Thank you for your responses. It makes me feel better about taking her swimming.
If someone could tell me how I would be happy to post a picture/video
kellers228
Pup
Pup

Postby JONOV » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:31 pm

kellers228 wrote:Thank you for your responses. It makes me feel better about taking her swimming.
If someone could tell me how I would be happy to post a picture/video

Upload as an attachment. If you look below the "save draft, preview, submit" when responding to a message you see two tabs, "options" and "upload attachment."
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to General Discussion