Odd Situtation

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Odd Situtation

Postby breton1130 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:05 pm

I left town for a few days this past weekend and had to leave my dog at home under the care of my roommates, one of whom she sleeps with some nights. I got back Monday morning and my dog is terrified of me. Hides in the my bedroom under the bed, won't come when called, generally avoids me all together. This morning I went to give her a treat and she ran into my room and I found her under my clothes hanging in the closet. The only thing I can think of is my roommates were also moving out this weekend and I am wondering if my dog thought she was being abandoned.

Any ideas what may have caused this and more importantly what to do from here? My roommates said nothing out of the ordinary happened while I was gone.

Thanks for the help
breton1130
Pup
Pup

Re: Odd Situtation

Postby JTracyII » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:27 pm

Tell us more. Is your dog generally very sensitive? How old? Do your roommates have company over much? I doubt your dog can think in such terms. Doubt she thought you were going to abandon her. I am guessing something happened while you were away that your roommates have not told you. I would get her out in the field for a few runs and see how that goes.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby breton1130 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:48 pm

The pup is just over a year old, 14 months to be exact. I wouldn't call the dog sensitive, she definitely carries a lot of anxiety. The roommates left on Monday morning for good, I returned mid morning. Do you think it could be separation anxiety since they are gone? I just hope this passes, it is breaking my heart to see my dog shut down and be scared of me.
breton1130
Pup
Pup

Postby JONOV » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:01 pm

JTracyII wrote:Tell us more. Is your dog generally very sensitive? How old? Do your roommates have company over much? I doubt your dog can think in such terms. Doubt she thought you were going to abandon her. I am guessing something happened while you were away that your roommates have not told you. I would get her out in the field for a few runs and see how that goes.

Every dog I've had can tell when we're packing and they get nervous. Our old Golden Retriever would go wait in the car so as not to be left. So it isn't out of the realm of possibility.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby breton1130 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:05 pm

I am not sure I'll ever figure out what triggered this, but now I need to fix it. Any advice or tips on how to correct this?
breton1130
Pup
Pup

Postby JONOV » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:55 pm

breton1130 wrote:I am not sure I'll ever figure out what triggered this, but now I need to fix it. Any advice or tips on how to correct this?

I'd take him through the McDonald's drive through and feed him chicken nuggets and fries. Or bring some home and do the same thing with him hiding under the bed.

ETA...I'm not being snarky. I had a foster GWP mix that was terrified of men, soft and skittish all around, a stray so long they eventually live trapped her, though she had at some point been a dog in a home. I'm a tall, heavy man. She was also skittish about riding in the car, so I'd put her in the car, and we'd take a short drive to Chick Fil-A, and I'd get fries and we'd share them. It helped her be close to me (and other men) AND it taught her to hop right up into the car.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:34 pm

Your dog should be overjoyed to see you. How does your dog react right now around other people? It could be that your "friends" know more than they're saying.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:45 pm

Me thinks theres a rat in the wood pile????????

I would take pup out where you usually train and see what kind of reaction get. If its not acceptable let us know??
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForestDump » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:37 am

Has the dog had any issues like/related to this in the past? I would not be quick to blame the former roommate. I can't think of any situation where another person's actions would make a dog distrust its owner whom it feels safe with. What have you done since and how is the dog currently reacting?
ForestDump
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ANick » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:28 am

How emotionally charged is the move of the housemates for either you or the pup? Could be the dog is picking up on that and is confused, thinking it has done something wrong / expecting punishment?

If you have other training buddies or friends the pup is used to being around, is the pup nervous around them? (Is the pup nervous around you only? Or anyone?)

Is it only in the house, is she shut down in the yard or training area, or just the house?

On another approach, is the pup physically okay? Eating, drinking and doing a normal poop n piddle? Wondering if she got into something while stuff was being moved.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a trip to the vet if it were mine, but mine absolutely LOVES going to the vet. But however you determine it, if she's okay physically, go to her happy places, keep her on the lead or cc and just go dink around.

Take the pressure off, relax, do simple stuff, not whatever you were training on last week. Hmm. What were you last training on?
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:30 am

Is this the first time you were away from the dog for an extended period? It's been a few days. How is she doing now?
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby breton1130 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Dog has snapped out of it. Thank you for all the advice and tips. I think she was just missing the roommate and taking it out on me if that makes any sense.
breton1130
Pup
Pup

Postby JONOV » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:54 am

breton1130 wrote:Dog has snapped out of it. Thank you for all the advice and tips. I think she was just missing the roommate and taking it out on me if that makes any sense.

Don't let anyone tell you that dogs can't sulk or exhibit spite.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Spindog » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Good news!!! . I was thinking about this problem you were having was going to suggest freeze dried liver treats!
Most dogs will become your friend for life with them.
Dan J.
Guinness Da Grazia Male Spinone RIP Buddy
Macello Da Grazia Male Spinone Brown & White RIP Chow
Hidalgo's Leonardo da Vinci Male Bracco Italiano Orange & White
.ǝɯıʇ ɐ ʇɐ pɹıq ǝuo uʍop ǝpısdn p1ɹoʍ bop pɹıq ǝɥʇ buıuɹnʇ .ǝuouıds uɐı1ɐʇı
Spindog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ANick » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:06 pm

breton1130 wrote:Dog has snapped out of it. Thank you for all the advice and tips. I think she was just missing the roommate and taking it out on me if that makes any sense.

Good news that!
And yes, actually I can believe that. You said, "she".
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion