Griffiondor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Griffiondor (WPG x Lab) a myth?

Postby mtbirder » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:44 pm

Fun reason to show her off. Photos of a myth........
mtbirder
Pup
Pup

Postby flitecontrol » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:32 pm

mtbirder. Any reports of how other dogs from that litter performed?
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mtbirder » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:40 pm

Of the four that I know something about, only one went to another hunter. He is equally pleased.
Unfortunately, the other three became just pets. What a waste-my opinion and another topic.......
mtbirder
Pup
Pup

Postby JTracyII » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:30 pm

That is a pretty neat looking dog. Glad you’ve had such a great experience. Thanks for sharing.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:45 pm

What a beast!!! That "thing" really looks cool. Looks like it was heavily influenced by the Griff side. Hunts like it too.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:28 am

montana point .jpg
looks like a Pudelpointer ... with a shorter tail
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:55 am

Why would they put the second "i" in the name of the breed. Shouldn't it be called a griffondor?
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:12 am

Surely the irony of a bunch of guys hunting Breeds of dogs developed from crossing several already established breeds, advising against it, is not lost on those reading along. :)

The DDs are arguably the most consistent producing Versatile Wirehair Breed around. They faced all the same arguments when they started out. Good thing Al Gore had not invented the internet yet or that Breed might not have gotten off the ground.

I have hunted with numerous excellent hunting dogs which were mixed breeds. Mt Cur/Bluetick, Lab/Redbone, Setter/Brittany, EP/Setter. They were not remotely a reproducible breed but they were excellent hunting dogs.

No doubt the task of developing a breed is a huge and long road, and the need for another breed is questionable.

Crossing a pointing breed with a retrieving breed is a complete genetic crap shoot as to pointing instinct in the first and successive generations. If pointing instinct is the goal, a great deal of culling and selection will be needed. Standardizing the coat while maintaining and building the targeted hunting skills/style will take even longer.

Doubtful it will ever produce anything better than several already existing breeds of dogs.

Easy enough for those interested in such a dog to give one a try and for those choosing to take a pass, to do so.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtbirder » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:43 am

Bruce Schwartz wrote:
montana point .jpg
looks like a Pudelpointer ... with a shorter tail

:lol:
Lotsa' folks assume my girl's a PP. My buddy docked the tails of the pups himself, was all self conscious because afterward he realized that they came out "too short". I happen to be amused by her stub........
I've heard the (I disagree) adage - "you get one good dog in your life". But I will believe you may only get one truly unique dog in your life.
I have had an absolutely perfect partner in her for going on 12 years.
My dogs and I hunted 40+ days in MT this year - except for a three week healing-from-a-broken-claw stint, she was out there the whole time. ....Trailed a running rooster for almost 10 minutes, the rooster luckily holding up under a greasewood shrub instead of blasting off, a right-under-her-nose point, and bird in the bag. Just another typical day for a bird dog mutt.
Sometimes luck beat skill - in a lotta things.....
mtbirder
Pup
Pup

Previous

Return to General Discussion