Future WPG litter inquiries, what should I be asking?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Future WPG litter inquiries, what should I be asking?

Postby ABurkdoll » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:55 pm

I am new to the versatile dog world and looking to get a WPG puppy in the next 18-24 months. I want to start contacting breeders about future litters but I want to make sure I'm asking the right questions. I'm coming from the world of labs so I would assume health related questions are the same.

So what questions should I be asking?
ABurkdoll
Started
Started

Re: Future WPG litter inquiries, what should I be asking?

Postby orhunter » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:39 pm

Way back when I was looking for a better dog than my current Griff, I asked the simple question, “is anyone out there breeding actual hunting type Griffons?” You’ve taken that first step, congratulations.

Your pup is quite a ways out and you are wise to begin your search now. This will give you confidence when the time comes to make a decision.

What I tell folks who have time to spare such as yourself, go to the breeder section here at V-Dogs and familiarize yourself with them. It’s easy to eliminate those from consideration if you see any connection to the show ring. That connection could be dogs in the pedigree with a CH designation or the breeders reference to show, agility, or pet, non-hunting activities. You’ll want to know if the breeder actually hunts their dogs and require field testing of the pups they produce.

Once you find some likely candidates, they will want to make sure you qualify for one of their pups. They won’t sell a pup to just anyone and they’ll require you to fill out an application. You must be an avid hunter, number one. The dog will be part of the family with every member on board with owning the dog. If you want the dog and your wife doesn’t, sorry. Griffs are very people oriented, they can’t rot in a kennel. They go where you go, do what you do, your buddy, your shadow. They accept lavish spoiling with enthusiasm. No home is complete without sharing your bed with that ugly thing.

A little pedigree education can be found on the thread, Most Influential Griffon. Look it up.

Check in every now and then and share what you’ve found. The more you are willing to do on your own, the more willing folks will be to help you out.

Be aware there are numerous breeders without websites etc. and the only way you’ll learn of them is by word of mouth. It worked for me.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ABurkdoll » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:06 pm

Thanks for the reply, I was a little vague in my original post as I was trying to avoid a long winded first post but most of the things you mentioned reaffirmed my initial research.

We are a hunting family and the wife is probably equally as excited about getting the griff as I am! I have only been looking into breeders with dogs that actually hunt and I've reached out to the local NAVHDA chapter to attend some training and testing days.

I guess what I had in mind when starting the topic, which I failed to convey, was more questions about coats, certain heath issues specific to the breed etc.

Again, thanks for the reply... I'm going to check out the thread you suggested.
ABurkdoll
Started
Started

Postby Stretch » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Coming from a person that just his first Griff, your in for a lot of fun. My pup is six months old and is coming along really well in my opinion. Pointing, retrieving on water and land, and finding sheds. I had to fill out a questionnaire and have to do a NA test. I waited a little over a year for the pup I have now. Had one breeder try to break it off in me, so beware of them. Good Luck!!!
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ABurkdoll » Thu May 03, 2018 2:02 pm

I was speaking to my brother about dogs this morning, I'm looking at WPGs and he's looking at a PP, and he said that he liked the PP better because he was told that the WPG has slow waterfowl development. Basically that they weren't known to retrieve waterfowl until they'd been force fetched.

I know this is an open ended question and breeding probably plays a big factor but I'm just wondering how much validity this notion has?
ABurkdoll
Started
Started

Postby ReefWhooligan » Thu May 03, 2018 2:12 pm

ABurkdoll wrote:I was speaking to my brother about dogs this morning, I'm looking at WPGs and he's looking at a PP, and he said that he liked the PP better because he was told that the WPG has slow waterfowl development. Basically that they weren't known to retrieve waterfowl until they'd been force fetched.

I know this is an open ended question and breeding probably plays a big factor but I'm just wondering how much validity this notion has?

Anecdotally, just from the dogs in our fairly large NAVHDA group, I don't think that's a breed specific difference. A fairly common issue in the NA test is dogs not wanting to go in the water and there are several pudelpointers I have seen where this is the case. There is also more pudelpointers in the group though so I'm not sure if it's more or less likely than others.
ReefWhooligan
Pup
Pup

Postby ABurkdoll » Thu May 03, 2018 2:27 pm

He wasn't saying it was a water issue but purely they had no interest in ducks until made to through FF.
ABurkdoll
Started
Started

Postby ReefWhooligan » Thu May 03, 2018 2:44 pm

ABurkdoll wrote:He wasn't saying it was a water issue but purely they had no interest in ducks until made to through FF.

Ah, sorry, I misread that. I don't think I can say much in that regard.
ReefWhooligan
Pup
Pup

Postby ABurkdoll » Thu May 03, 2018 2:59 pm

ReefWhooligan wrote:
ABurkdoll wrote:He wasn't saying it was a water issue but purely they had no interest in ducks until made to through FF.

Ah, sorry, I misread that. I don't think I can say much in that regard.

No worries, I appreciate the help.
ABurkdoll
Started
Started

Postby Stretch » Thu May 03, 2018 3:39 pm

I call bull$#*! on that. My Griff pup was 5-6 months old retrieving ducks and geese and has never been FF. And the ice hadn’t been off two weeks.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu May 03, 2018 5:01 pm

I speak with no authority whatsoever but that sounds like an Utter crock of chit. Unless one dog had a bad extwith a duck...sounds odd...
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu May 03, 2018 5:32 pm

WPG, slow water development. Whoever said that is slow on development them self.

My crappy “show” Griff was fetching ducks and geese at 4 1/2 months with as much (or more) enthusiasm and skill as any of the Labs I’ve hunted with.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Meridiandave » Thu May 03, 2018 8:07 pm

There was a time back in the 1980's if Griff's failed there NA test it was due to water or track. That was a long time ago. Now every griff I know swims just fine, even the ones with show titles.

I also know that some people draw the swimming distinction, between PP and WPG. I have personally heard it. I can also say that I train a lot with PP. Thy are good swimmers as well. The do go in the water pretty early. However, the distinction between griff and pp in this area is small if existing at all.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bhennessy » Thu May 03, 2018 9:57 pm

Orhunter sums it up quite well, as usual.

Start triangulating a list of serious breeders of hunting griffs, researching their dogs health info (hips, etc.) and NAVHDA Natural Ability test scores and finding folks who own them to talk to about their experiences with their dog and the breeder. Expect to have to commit to NA testing your pup as a perquisite for getting him/her. The AWPGA website does post a reasonably comprehensive list of breeders as place to start, but it is by no means complete and runs the gamut of breeding programs, including show, conformation, etc. Finally, I found the breeders on my short list, and most owners were very willing to talk, not only about the breed, their dogs but also to make recommendations if they didn't have a litter coming in my desired timeframe.

People love to split hairs on the different breeds to infinity herein, but I am convinced that you really couldn't go wrong with a PP or Griff (or a DD/WPG, etc, etc.). I've got two wonderful Griffs, and I am scheming about how to get a PP into our house as well.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Sat May 05, 2018 9:53 am

If you have any intention of using the dog for water retrieving, a really valid question is if the breeder has introduced any of the pups to water..... as in swimming rather than drinking out of a bowl. Another question I would want to know is how much time the pup has been allowed to freely roam outside as opposed to being in the house or kenneled. The answers will be directly related to what kind of pup you will have.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion