Mississippi

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Mississippi

Postby dc727 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Any members near Columbus, Ms? Uncle Sam is moving me there and wondering if anyone was around. I am currently stationed in Illinois and have a 3yr old GWP. Would like a training/hunting partner. I am sure our upland hunting will take a hit. Sadly the quail or long gone.
dc727
Started
Started

Re: Mississippi

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:27 pm

You may find non-existent upland hunting (except maybe woodcock certain times of year), however I'm sure you can still find some good waterfowlin' ... just watch out for dem gators.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby dc727 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:13 pm

Growing up in South Carolina I am aware of the upland hunting that is virtually non existent. I wish I could have experienced the quail hunting my Grandfather did. I looked for Navhda chapters and they seem to be non existent unless I want to drive quiet a few hours.
dc727
Started
Started

Postby bhennessy » Fri May 04, 2018 8:49 am

Being over in Louisiana I'm here to tell you the deep south is tough for wild birds these days, unless you want to preserve hunt. Not really my thing, but there are some very good preserves that claim they have a mix of wild and pen raised quail. This could be true since they manage for habitat and predators. I'm not sure about MS, but Louisiana has a half hearted habitat program going on to bring quail back. I say half hearted because it is only focusing on a couple WMAs and there's not been a serious effort to bring about an aggressive and well funded CRP-type program for farmers. the state biologists do claim there are a few coveys running around the managed WMAs and also deep in the Kiasatche NF near Alexandria, LA which has an active management program in place.

That said, you do have several large national forests in MS that probably hold some quail if you are willing to walk, a lot. Homochito, Bienville and Desoto NF all are in southern/central MS and could hold quail if they've been managed at all. Get in touch with the state biologist(s) who are familiar with quail and they should be willing to point you in the right (if any) direction; I've found them to be very helpful here in LA. I occasionally train my griffs on a friends farm in southern MS that is well managed for timber and cattle and the workers have told me they are seeing increasing quail on the property over the past few years.

The most reliable birds for our dogs these days are woodcock. Short season, very dependent on weather and low limits but lots of fun if you get into them. Over here they tend to be concentrated in the Atchafalaya basin and west, but I think there is a more eastern flyway too which may be closer to you.

So we spend a lot of time chasing a few birds around Louisiana during season, and a lot of time in the car driving to where the wild birds are. We've been to western OK, Nebraska last winter and we'll go to Iowa this coming season I think.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion