"Off Season" Hunting

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

"Off Season" Hunting

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:21 pm

Well it's not warm weather fishing season yet and waterfowl and upland season has long been over... so Rowdy and I have just been trying to keep ourselves busy and outside.

"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: "Off Season" Hunting

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:44 am

Cool! I enjoy some small scale Spring Beaver trapping myself. Scouting, reading sign, making/checking sets is fun and I have a few tanned beaver pelts around the house.

It is such an unfortunate turn in our society that fur is not embraced as the wonderful renewable resource that it is. As is Raccoons are absolutely overrunning us in the MW and I doubt that fur prices will ever return to a level needed to bring the harvest numbers back up to where they need to be to effectively control their numbers.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:45 am

AverageGuy wrote:Cool! I enjoy some small scale Spring Beaver trapping myself. Scouting, reading sign, making/checking sets is fun and I have a few tanned beaver pelts around the house.

It is such an unfortunate turn in our society that fur is not embraced as the wonderful renewable resource that it is. As is Raccoons are absolutely overrunning us in the MW and I doubt that fur prices will ever return to a level needed to bring the harvest numbers back up to where they need to be to effectively control their numbers.

AG, This got me thinking. I dug out an old book, "Tap's Tips," Originally published in 1950. The quote is, "Back in what we now think of as the good old days, a prime fox pelt was worth $25. That doesn't sound like a princely sum by Today's standards, but it was then, when the hired man earned $30 a month plus room and board."

I don't know what time period he was referring to specifically, but I'd have to imagine it was close to $1000 in todays money. Today, you're lucky to get $10-$25.

I'm not one that claims "we don't see no more birds cuz all the predators" but I also believe it wouldn't hurt the populations, either.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:16 am

Our quail and pheasant declines are mostly due to problems with habitat, although there are now many places with good habitat and no birds. Unless there are birds nearby to move in or wild birds are trap and transferred/released, those habitats will remain empty.

But our decline in turkeys is weather and nest raiding predator related. I find raided nests and destroyed eggs on nearly a daily basis in May while working my dog. Our fur harvest seasons are way too short and have not been adjusted in decades going back to when a jumbo prime coon was bringing $45 in the late 70s and 80s. The Whitetail deer hunting craze makes many properties off limits to coon hunters during the current short seasons in Nov/Dec and part of Jan, (and public WMAs are closed after 10 pm), whereas if seasons were lengthened into March many of those private properties would gladly open them up for some fur take in order to reduce ground nesting bird predation. Our turkey season and limits continue without adjustment, even as our population is one third of what it was during the 90s and early 2000s. Non-resident furharvester licenses are set at high prices harkening back to the 80s when fur prices were at their peak. I give State F&G departments in the MW very low marks in this area. Nest predation by Raccoons is a very serious problem to our ground nesting birds here in the MW.
Last edited by AverageGuy on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:23 am

I tried beaver trapping one winter when I lived closer to the woods. I'd find my traps tripped but didn't catch any. Picked up a road kill deer, hauled it up in the woods and put traps nearby. Coyotes hit it pretty hard but didn't catch any. When there was nothing left of the bait 'cept for a little hair and bones, I caught a Bobcat.

Oops, forgot..... Nice beaver!!!!!
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:39 pm

https://youtu.be/AvWfbIe4X_4

Someone has to point out the obvious.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:10 pm

LongHammer wrote:https://youtu.be/AvWfbIe4X_4

Someone has to point out the obvious.

This beaver was my first of the kind that lives in lodges near the water, but I am definitely more a fan of the split-tailed beaver that is found in a variety of habitats :lol:
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:36 pm

I have not seen a flat tailed beaver in 20 years. A couple where I canoe said they saw one but it was just a big Muskrat.

The split tail variety we have in abundance but somewhere around 1996 they all stated loosing their fur! :lol:
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:38 pm

LongHammer wrote:I have not seen a flat tailed beaver in 20 years. A couple where I canoe said they saw one but it was just a big Muskrat.

The split tail variety we have in abundance but somewhere around 1996 they all stated loosing their fur! :lol:

Now that there is funny! I do like a mostly hairless beaver anyway. Checked my sets today and had a surprise in a conibear set in a beaver run...

"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:31 pm

Coming from a desert state I am guessing that's an Otter. How big are they there is nothing in the pic to give it scale. You get to do some pretty fun stuff. The only trapping I get to do is feral cats. Does Rowdy finish them off if anything is still alive in the traps? Coons and such.
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:09 am

Nothing still alive... pretty much an instant death being hit with a conibear underwater. If the powerful conibear doesn't break their neck, it will drown them. This otter was about 20 pounds give or take. The beaver I caught was around 40 lbs.

"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:54 am

So I have to ask what does flat tailed beaver and otter taste like? I guess you can make summer sausage out of anything. I can't tell the difference between elk and mountain lion SS so otter or beaver might not be bad.
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:36 pm

LongHammer wrote:So I have to ask what does flat tailed beaver and otter taste like? I guess you can make summer sausage out of anything. I can't tell the difference between elk and mountain lion SS so otter or beaver might not be bad.

Beaver honestly tastes like beef with a slight but pleasant gamey flavor. Haven't tried the otter yet. Planning on tacos.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deacon » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:12 am

Rowdy,

You and I are cut from the same cloth. I am a pretty good cook and am willing to try anything, at least once.

After a lifetime of hearing that you cannot eat bowfin I decided I would try and dis-spell that myth. I caught a mess of bullhead along with one, medium sized bowfin on a really cold spring night. Taking them home I was too tired to clean them right away. I left them in a bucket and dumped a bunch of ice over them. The next morning I get up to clean the fish and find that the ice which had melted had turned the same color as antifreeze! Now, I am willing to work with just about any meat, but that was too much for me! Later that day my 11 year old son comes asking me what happened to "his ice cubes". Apparently he had used green food coloring to make green ice cubes!

Here is what I have been up to for "off season" hunting. After nearly a decade of watching these SOB's circle and then leave without presenting a shot, we banged them up a bit on St. Patrick's Day! Corned snow goose gizzards, goose heart omelets, and schnitzel has been on the menu all week at my place!
snow goose1.JPG

gypsy snow goose.JPG
Deacon
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:29 pm

My grandpa told me if you ever shoot snow geese give them to people you don't like. How do you cook them baseball sized gizzards to get them to the point you can chew through them?
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to Hunting & Firearms