Lena vom Slaney-Vale

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Lena vom Slaney-Vale

Postby flitecontrol » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:40 am

Nice. That's one tough dog!
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:24 pm

Thanks for the kind words folks. Headed back out to SD on Friday, can't wait. Going to mix in some ice fishing this time...plenty of ice by now.

I left Lena with the FiL in SD. He hunted her hard, and she got into dozens more birds, including one 13 man limit. Lucky dog.

She did take a cut to the chest, so she got put under and stitched up. Should be good to go my Friday. These damn DD don't have any quit in them. This is year 3/3 she's had stitches.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:20 am

Well, that probably does it for me in 2018. Working and family time are the trump cards for the last 10 days of December. It was really a great year. Pheasant hunting was as good as it's ever been. Waterfowl was down from the last couple years, but still quite good. The fire I had to kill limits of ducks is tempered, and now it's more about spending time with guys that I love to hunt with.

Lena had peaks and valleys. She balked on some water retrieves when it was cold, but force fetch came through in the end and she did her job. I just need to tell myself she's not a lab. She brought back lots of ducks, some of which would have never been found without her search.

I still don't love her search style, a bit haphazard. The results don't lie though, as she consistently finds birds. And I have yet to see her quit...drive can be hard to define, but I think she has it.

The season ended on a high note. We hunted 3 days, and it was tough. Birds acting like they've been shot at for two months. Sharing the field with labs who crowd her points. Large groups that put walking in a straight line in higher regard than following a dog that knows where the birds are running. Day one was all public land, and I hate to say that I missed the only shot opportunity that I had. A great point on the edge of CRP, and two shots that cleanly missed. I've been shooting pretty well this season, so that irked me big time.

Day two was a 7 man group. In the end we eeked out 8 birds, and it was an all day ordeal. Just tough hunting. Lena did put a nice point on a rooster that a young hunter was able to knock down. I wish I had taken pictures of that. It was special.

The last hunt was just me and my father-in-law. He taught me everything I know about hunting. I didn't even own a shotgun before I married his daughter. So this was a nice hunt. We went to a honey hole, a spot that is big and gnarly, but holds crazy amounts of birds. Lena was on her game this day. First point was a covey flush of at least 20 birds out of cane. If I had the semi auto I could have had a triple, but shooting a double with the 686 is always nice. By the end of the day 4/6 birds were shot over points, and the hen count was easily over 20. The last birds of the day was a wing shot rooster that soared into the bean field. Lena was hot on his tail for several hundred yards as he sprinted/circled/hopped his way around her. It was a good laugh for us watching her go 110% trying to grab this bird.

35 degrees, blue skies, light wind, mid December. Tough to beat.

Trying to work out a mid January Kansas trip to extend the season, but 2018 is in the books. Feeling very grateful.
Attachments
IMG_20181218_132530-01-1612x1209.jpeg
IMG_20181218_132023-01-1209x1611.jpeg
IMG_20181218_131235-01-1209x1612.jpeg
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:21 am

And because I'm an equal opportunity sportsman.
Attachments
IMG_20181217_184250-01-1612x1209.jpeg
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:16 am

Nice perch. One of my favorite fishes for the table.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:56 am

orhunter wrote:Nice perch. One of my favorite fishes for the table.

I agree. Should be enough for a new years fish fry.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:35 pm

I really enjoy following along with you and Lena. Your posts are excellent reflecting all the values and highs/lows that are easy to relate to in our hunts and our dogs.

I can top your story however, I flubbed on a pointed rooster with 3 shots on a tough hunt last week :x . I could give a rip about another bird to clean at the end of the day but letting Spud down when after much effort he got a wily late season public rooster pinned down after a long string of no shot pointed hens REALLY bothered me.

Nice Perch!

Couple of short local bobwhite hunts this week for Spud and I and an evening hunt yielding my 3rd archery doe off the farm was our approach to mixing things up this week.

Heading to Ks in the morning.
Last edited by AverageGuy on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:59 pm

AG: I'm betting you don't buy meat at the grocery store....... If I were to compile a list of the top five big game animals as they relate to table quality, it'd go like this. 1. Pronghorn, 2. Roosevelt Elk, 3. Whitetail, 4. Blacktail, 5. Black bear. Black Bear and Moose are pretty much a tossup. There's a lot of stuff I haven't eaten.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:15 pm

Share the Harvest Donations on the last 2 does. Deer numbers require I take some does, so I am. And I enjoy archery hunting and the wildlife I experience while doing it.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:11 pm

That's awesome AG. I could probably learn a thing or two from you about archery hunting.

I always like reading everyone's stories about hunting. It helps pass the time between hunts. This thread has kind of turned in to my public journal. I find myself going back and reading stories of old, helps bring back the memories.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Keeping your journal going from puppy to now all in one thread was Genius. I sure do not regret carrying a small Nikon around all of Spud's life. I failed to take many photos of prior dogs and not going to make that mistake ever again. The birds get eaten, the photos remain.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:05 am

AverageGuy wrote:Keeping your journal going from puppy to now all in one thread was Genius. I sure do not regret carrying a small Nikon around all of Spud's life. I failed to take many photos of prior dogs and not going to make that mistake ever again. The birds get eaten, the photos remain.

Ditto the thread props.. and the camera tip. You two do really well.

Thanks!
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:29 am

x3. This post is a great follow. Hardcore hunting with some great photos to boot. Great job jlw and Lena.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Libertyrocks » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:38 pm

Great thread jlw and Lena!

I’d wager you don’t buy much store bought meat either. Looking at Lena’s face in SD, I have to ask how days you two were in the field this year? I’m not sure if I’ll be envious or ashamed. :lol:
Libertyrocks
Pup
Pup

Postby jlw034 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:01 pm

Libertyrocks wrote:Great thread jlw and Lena!

I’d wager you don’t buy much store bought meat either. Looking at Lena’s face in SD, I have to ask how days you two were in the field this year? I’m not sure if I’ll be envious or ashamed. :lol:

Ha! I'm not 100% sure on the days-afield. We bought 2 SD licenses, 1 ND upland license, and our MN license. Add on waterfowling in MN, SD, ND I'd say we hunted upwards of 40 days this fall. Not a bad year.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion