Question about Testing and Licensing System in Germany

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Question about Testing and Licensing System in Germany

Postby JONOV » Thu May 31, 2018 10:01 am

So, as I understand it, in Germany, you have to test your dog to get your dog's hunting license. These tests are administered by the JGV/JGHV (I am unclear on the difference, someone here can probably explain better,) at least as I understand it though I may be wrong.

I have a good understanding of what's required to breed your DD, DK, etc...and I understand what the testing consists of at least for the popular continental pointing breeds, I know what VJP, HZP, VGP (or whatever the different breed clubs call them) are.

My questions are, what is required to gain your dog's hunting license?

What is required as far as dog availability to hunt in Germany? As I understand it, hunters must have access to a dog before hunting, and have to know in advance who they'll call if they need bloodtracking, etc.

How do the requirements differ from a Beagle, Teckel, Jagdterrier, Wachtelhund, Laborador, DD, Pointer? I've seen youtube videos where there was a lab at a German Test day, and "read" (I don't know German but some of it can be divined) reports from different chapter tests where Pointers and other breeds you don't always associate with JGHV type testing were tested.

Does the type of dog you have available affect what you can hunt on a given hunt day?

Is there a requirement of pedigree and breeding to be allowed to hunt with your dog? IE, could a hunter notice great instincts in his wife's mongrel pet, train for blood tracking or whatever, and test pass and hunt?
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Question about Testing and Licensing System in Germany

Postby 3drahthaars » Thu May 31, 2018 11:25 am

A dog must have registration in a JGHV member breed club or FCI to enter a JGHV hunting test.

I believe one only requires provable access to a tested dog to have a lease (Revier).

The big 3 tests are VJP, HZP &VGP for the versatile breeds... Specialty JGHV tests are VSwP for blood tracking.

The under ground tests I believe are administered by the terrier / Teckel clubs.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Thu May 31, 2018 11:43 am

There was an episode on the hunting dog podcast a while back that someone who went through getting his dog certified discussed. It sounds like it takes a lot more than what we're used to for the dog and hunter to be certified to hunt.

As for the specific questions...no idea, I'm confused by it and was only half way paying attention to that episode, and got about as much as your general understanding out of it.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:48 pm

So I did ask an actual German from a facebook group. He has, in addition to a DK and a Weimareiner, Patterdale Terriers that he hunts raccoons, foxes, badgers, and one that hunts boar. He said that since the Patterdales aren't recognized by "the club," not sure if its the terrier clubs or JGHV or whatever, that he doesn't have to test or license them (at least that's what I gathered. Translation was so-so.)
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Frodsham » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:48 am

Greetings from Germany,
I found this Forum just today and i believe that there is no simple answer to your question ( partialy i have seen a few "fair enough" answers ).
I will sit down tommorow and spend some time to give you all you need ....
so please be patiened.
//
Klaus
Frodsham

Return to German and European Testing Systems