Pudelpointer won’t swim

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Pudelpointer won’t swim

Postby hicntry » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:34 am

People wait way too long before introducing pups to water. I put them in a kiddie pool at 4 weeks old to start them off. They swim better than they can walk at that age. Here is a pic of a 7 week old. Tail straight up and hasn't a care in the world. The password is "hunter if needed. They all are pretty comfortable in the water.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/ ... _1282r.jpg
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:44 am

Helt, It is not how your pup starts, but how it finishes that is critical. Your pup will swim boldly in time. The pigeon will get it in the water if you choose to use it or more time and maturity in your pup (with warmer weather) will as well. Just avoid using any force which may well give the pup a negative experience with water at this stage. I am sure we will all look forward to hearing a progress report/success story on your pup.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby daeion » Tue May 01, 2018 12:19 pm

Just this weekend I watched the pigeon in the water get a dog that had previously refused to swim, start swimming. If they really like birds they will eventually go for it. I had the same issue with my SM, wouldn't swim, and then one day it just clicked for her.
daeion
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby SMAbby » Tue May 01, 2018 7:51 pm

CZfan107 wrote:Try putting on waders and carry him out with you and let him swim back to shore!

Yeah,I wouldnt recommend this.....Lets think about this for a second?
1. You are lifting the pup up and carrying it, which most dogs find uncomfortable.
2. Your carrying said dog into something he doesnt want or is afraid of and dropping or pllacing him in this unwanted situation.
3. He immediately swims back to shore......you are conditioning him to want t0 swim to shore instead of the opposite....swimming out.

My thoughts

Strip down to your tighty whities and go for a swim with the dog. Float some cheese puffs or Cheerios out in the water if he is food motivated.
Take notes of all this info if you have future breeding plans...... you may not want this in your line.

Disclaimer.....I didnt read the whole post cuz im to tired. :-P
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:17 am

Find a creek that's not go too much current. A slightly deeper hole in the creek with almost no current at all is ideal. Take your dog for a walk there. When the pup is comfortable and having fun, wade to the other side of the creek. Most pups want to be with you and will eventually swim to follow you. It may take a few mins for the pup to get up the courage, but I've never seen one that wouldn't eventually take the plunge.

This works better if you have other dogs who swim that can go along with you.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed May 02, 2018 9:39 am

blue04 wrote:Find a creek that's not go too much current. A slightly deeper hole in the creek with almost no current at all is ideal. Take your dog for a walk there. When the pup is comfortable and having fun, wade to the other side of the creek. Most pups want to be with you and will eventually swim to follow you. It may take a few mins for the pup to get up the courage, but I've never seen one that wouldn't eventually take the plunge.

This works better if you have other dogs who swim that can go along with you.

That is a sure fire method and the way I used to do it until the persistent state of drought and dry stream beds. Used to have to hide though because if the pups could see me they didn't have to cross to look for me.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:27 pm

hicntry wrote: until the persistent state of drought and dry stream beds

You must live in California
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Thu May 03, 2018 8:51 am

blue04 wrote:
hicntry wrote: until the persistent state of drought and dry stream beds

You must live in California

Unfortunately yes.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri May 04, 2018 10:09 am

Thinking back, in between the drought and using kiddie pools, I resorted to taking box fulls of pups to a lake not far from the house and swimming them. It was really hard keeping my mind on business because all the ladies just flocked to those pups.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/ ... 66copy.jpg

Four week old pups being introduced to water.
http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v40 ... ombine.mp4

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Training