1st 48 hours with a puppy.

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

1st 48 hours with a puppy.

Postby SERE Nate » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:04 pm

I am picking up a Griff pup on Saturday. Its about an 8 hour drive. I was originally looking at doing the trip all in one day and getting the pup back to his new home. However, a good buddy of mine has offered me a place to stay at the half way mark. He has a Llewellyn setter. We were talking about maybe going fishing Sat afternoon and taking pup with us and then Sun morning going out to his duck blind and id sit away from the guns so not to spook pup. Pup has been gun conditioned by his breeder. Lots of starter pistols, etc used there for training other dogs.

Would this be a fun adventure for the new pup and give him an idea of what he has to look forward to? Or is this way too much stress for a new pup on his 1st day away from the litter?
SERE Nate
Started
Started

Re: 1st 48 hours with a puppy.

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:58 pm

Not what I would do. Particularly the part about taking him to the duck blind. Nothing to be gained and alot at risk on that. I would take the pup home and get him settled in.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SERE Nate » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:04 pm

Leaning towards just going to meet up with buddy, fly fish a little with the pup on the river bank, and crash at his cabin and drive him home
SERE Nate
Started
Started

Postby ryanr » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:12 pm

IIf it were me I'd lean towards spending time with my new pup.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bwjohn » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:25 pm

stop by your friends place, break up the drive, I get it.

But the rest not so much, go on a walk that morning with you pup in a place that you and him can spend some time together. a new puppy is not going to stay on the bank while you fly fish.

nix the duck blind or being any where close to it, let him play with the ducks when they get back.

good luck, pups are a lot of fun,

brandon
bwjohn
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:20 pm

All depends on how solid the pup is and what kind of experiences he has had already. It may not be stressful at all and you are the only one that can judge that.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Quailguy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:36 pm

I'm over cautious and would be afraid of doing too much, too fast. The pup doesn't even know you yet and will likely be afraid of everything new to him. I don't know if this is an issue where you live, but Parvo virus is a big problem in Southern California. I didn't let my pup touch the ground outside my back yard until ALL his shots were complete and he was 4 months old. We even had a bleach water tub that we stepped and had front yard/backyard shoes. I've had 2 dogs get Parvo and I'm super paranoid.
Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies
Quailguy
Started
Started

Postby Densa44 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:33 am

In a word NO. Of all the bad things that can happen; motion sickness, not eating, dehydration, running away, getting lost, intimidated by a bigger dog, I'll just say no.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:56 am

Quailguy: You lost 4 months of important exposure for your pup.

I give a pup two days at most to acclimate to new surroundings then we're gettin' out.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:15 pm

If the breeder did his job the pup should be able to adjust to new things already. If the pup spent most the time in a kennel, maybe not unless he is really solid.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:28 pm

Pups shouldn't be afraid of anything, this is learned behavior. One that is naturally timid, needs to be discovered asap so appropriate measures can be taken. That can include sending it back to the breeder. Just depends on how the pup responds. If it's genetic, you've got a real problem.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 pm

orhunter wrote:Quailguy: You lost 4 months of important exposure for your pup.

I give a pup two days at most to acclimate to new surroundings then we're gettin' out.

And then you lose 2 days! :wink:

When I picked Hazel up, our first stop, even before home, was the field where she not only got out exploring for a good hour but she got an introduction to my big, in your face 5yr old Drahthaar. Lol. (I wanted introductions on neutral ground.) Next morning, both dogs got loaded in their crates and we went on nice run in the fields and woods before breakfast.

About the only place my dogs have never been is a dog park!
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SERE Nate » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Screenshot_20171210-203055.jpg
So I changed my plans. Meeting my buddy on Friday morning to hunt ducks and fly fish. Sat morning I'm picking him up and driving back home. I'm going to stop by my buddies house to take a break, stretch out our legs and introduce the pup. Maybe stay for an hour
Attachments
Screenshot_20171210-203045.jpg
SERE Nate
Started
Started

Postby Densa44 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:16 pm

Sounds perfect. Don't rush anything, you have lots of time.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Gorgeous pup. Keep the photos coming. Like the solid (no spots/plates) silver coat. Don't see many of those. Let the spoiling begin....
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Training