First NAHVDA Training day

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

First NAHVDA Training day

Postby overit2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Just wanted to share my excitement. Placed an order for 4 quail/1 pheasant for our first training day with our local NAVHDA chapter. My guy and I are super new at this sport and our Weim is our 1st V-dog. I've posted before a few times, just wanted to share the enthusiasm as we approach our 1st training day this Sunday.

Not quite sure what to expect-the chapter is Mid-South (GA and TN).

I know the basics as we've been to an AKC hunt test and a training day- wear something orange, take some chairs, plenty of water, snacks/lunch for us/dog. We have his CC, flat collar, shorter collars and we got a great stake w/chain from gundogsupply we will take with us. Do you use stake out more then moving around a big kennel on grounds? We will just keep it in the car we're thinking.

Anything else you can think of? We also purchase a starter gun recently w/blanks only for practice-do we take this or will they use their own typically?
overit2
Started
Started

Re: First NAHVDA Training day

Postby jlw034 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:28 pm

overit2 wrote:Just wanted to share my excitement. Placed an order for 4 quail/1 pheasant for our first training day with our local NAVHDA chapter. My guy and I are super new at this sport and our Weim is our 1st V-dog. I've posted before a few times, just wanted to share the enthusiasm as we approach our 1st training day this Sunday.

Not quite sure what to expect-the chapter is Mid-South (GA and TN).

I know the basics as we've been to an AKC hunt test and a training day- wear something orange, take some chairs, plenty of water, snacks/lunch for us/dog. We have his CC, flat collar, shorter collars and we got a great stake w/chain from gundogsupply we will take with us. Do you use stake out more then moving around a big kennel on grounds? We will just keep it in the car we're thinking.

Anything else you can think of? We also purchase a starter gun recently w/blanks only for practice-do we take this or will they use their own typically?

It sounds like you have a good start.

I'm not a part of your chapter, but we pick up dog waste if they go in the general parking/hang out area. So maybe bring poop bags.

I prefer a stake-out chain. Maybe just get your dog used to it before making him stay put all day. You could certainly bring your starter pistol, but they usually have a couple there. Bring your ecollar is you use one.

Have fun!
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Bigearl » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:06 pm

Let me know how the training day goes. I live a little over an hour north of the Ga training grounds. I've thought about going but never have.
Bigearl
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Hunters Edge » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:21 pm

Please contact the chapter and ask the contact person what to bring, along with the routine. Some have puppies training for NA, some UT etc. Also they may have sign up sheets for time slots, or fields etc. Each club do things differently many also has equipment that you can use, launchers, wingers etc. So the best I can inform you is to contact the chapter representative. Also take plenty of water for you and especially the pup.

Also a good thing to have training testing and hunting, is a first aid kit. One for you one explicitly for the dog. In the field it's hard to carry along but for quick trama duck tape and a Leatherman, is a must to keep in your hunting/training vest.
Hunters Edge Kennel where Versatile Champions are born. Call on expected whelped dates or breedings, hunters only, please.
Hunters Edge
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:20 am

walk your dog periodically so as to get it used to socializing, as well as all the confusion you'll encounter. A kennel is advisable unless the dog is trained to a stake-out and you're comfortable leaving your dog unattended. If it's hot and sunny keeping your dog cool is paramount - if kept in car make sure there is plenty of ventilation, or better yet, put kennel in shade of car on outside. Don't put a wet dog in kennel in extreme heat as the dog needs moving air to cool down. When not working keep your dog on lead at all times. Expect the dog to not resemble the dog you've been training at home.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:24 am

Good for you! Offer to help, that will teach you a lot. Try to figure out which dog is the best one in the club (this is not hard) usually it is the one that comes when called. Talk to whom ever is holding the leash, that person can be a huge help.

Be very careful with the sun/heat as the others have said. You don't need a cap gun.

How old is your dog? If he is still a pup, they may not shoot the birds you bought. If you take that live pheasant home with you, it is perfect for teaching tracking.

Tie a very long piece of bricklayer's twine on its leg so you can retrieve it if the dog doesn't bring it back.

Keep your dog in the shade, always!

Welcome we can always use more dogs/trainers.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby overit2 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:48 am

So I would keep the pheasant live at home...I was considering getting some kind of cage to hold a few quail at a time....just make sure it's big enough then to hold the pheasant also? Can pheasant/quail be kept temporarily in the same cage at home for a few days also?

I'll have to google some tracking videos then- This little guy-only thing we have had him track is quail wings, snacks oh and a frozen dead quail. The dog can track and he can also very quickly find. It's been fun to watch.
Recently got him to quail dummies from gundogsupply to hide for him also and later for FF training-have the scent also not sure if to inject it or what.
overit2
Started
Started

Postby overit2 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:59 am

Ok, another question....

Pigeon cage vs quail cage vs pigeon trap, shaded/not---there's SO many options! I will be getting a bag for the field- and would like some kind of cage/carrier that will stay at home in case I have a few extra birds as well as being able to transport in the vehicle to fields for practice. So nothing to big or to small. When at home outside, do I keep the cage off the floor I imagine? How far up? I mean the dog will be in the yard, and the cat of course. Trying to figure out best way to keep them.
overit2
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:00 am

There are commercial transport cages for all sizes of birds. I buy most of training supplies at GunDogSupply. The cages you might buy or construct to transport birds to and from training are not suitable for keeping birds at home for any length of time.

I train with homing and feral pigeons and have a separate coop for each at my home. I used the plans purchased from Lyons Country and made the Coop another 2 feet wider than the plans called for. They are adequate for keeping enough pigeons to train one dog at a time, but even larger would have been better.

Both quail and pheasants will get stale really quickly when housed in small cages and will not fly well when released. Pheasants will destroy themselves flushing into the top of small wire cages. Working a puppy on poor flying birds teaches bad things vs good. All reasons why most people go the route of pigeons when keeping training birds at their home. The facilities needed to properly keep quail and pheasants in proper strong flying condition is not feasible for most of us, whereas pigeons are.

I would go easy on the track training with released live birds that cannot fly, and keep some balance between that and working on bringing out the puppy's pointing instinct with opportunities to work birds that will fly away if it gets too close. Too much track training can get puppies out of balance and make steadying them up on pointing birds more difficult. Depends entirely on the inherited skill set of your specific puppy.

I let my puppies learn to track mostly by exposure to wild game on walks in the terrain and cover types where wild game lives. I do just enough drags to teach the track command but delay my focus on blood track training until after I have the puppy where I want it on hunting for and pointing birds. Meanwhile my puppy will be getting daily opportunities to track birds, squirrels, rabbits, possums, coons, deer ... it encounters without artificial means.

I keep drills of pulling wing feathers on a pheasant and releasing it for the puppy to track to a minimum as it will be most important that the puppy learn to slow down and point the pheasant when it gets close vs learning early on to keep advancing and grab a bird which cannot fly ...

You are likely to hear different opinions. Just sharing some of what has worked for me.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Hunters Edge » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:06 pm

For transportation crates and other supplies https://cutlersupply.com/zen_new51/ . Unless your pheasants have binders no way should you put with other birds. Even with binders your taking a risk, they are very aggressive. In certain transport crates they can be together if real low, just for transportation. In transit or in these crates they produce a lot of heat, so keep them cool or they will die, also keep them hydrated, plenty of water and some fruit, if they will not drink in crate oranges apples. Like was mentioned these crates are for transport only, they are very confining, not humane if used otherwise. Also which was mentioned, if kept very long diminishes good flight and can cause serious set backs in training.
A small but effective pen can be constructed if handy. 4'h x 4'w x 8'l about 3ft off ground. Use 1/2 inch hardware cloth on 2x4 joist for birds to walk on a crap to fall through. I use the cloth below as well leaving a 3 1/2 inch space this stops predators from eating feet or legs. The roof is flat use 2x4 rafters top use metal roof, bellow or bottom of rafter use 1/2 cloth. This keeps birds heads from hitting the steel roof, and unless they hit rafter gives a little cushion without getting head caught in netting or chicken wire. Ends are a piece of plywood cut in half. One end you will need to cut a door into it and attach hinges. To keep door from going in a door stop with 1 x 3 for strip screwed to side of frame. 1/2 inch hardware cloth on side of pen attach to rafter on top, attach bottom to joist on bottom. On the ends 4 corners 2x4 upright, allowing for legs and to attach plywood ends. Also is header going across on top for rafters to sit on and the bottom for the joists to sit in. Because top heavy use an anchor screw into ground both ends and attach cable and binder. I keep east side open to weather other side tarp. Holds about 50 quail or chukar and even a month does not seem to effect flight, I believe they fly or flutter around in the cage, when alarmed. I lost a couple think they hit their head on the rafter, but not sure and can not tell you how many over the years were used. Had waterer heated in winter and several different feeders depending on the bird.
Hunters Edge Kennel where Versatile Champions are born. Call on expected whelped dates or breedings, hunters only, please.
Hunters Edge
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby fowlemt » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:23 am

I am a member of the Mid-South chapter and will be there on Sunday with my PP. Sounds like you have most everything covered as far as what to bring. I would recommend a water bottle that your dog can drink out of while doing field work.

The dogs are typically broken up into puppies/inexperienced dogs and more advanced dogs. The quail and pheasant work takes place close to where everyone parks so a stake out or kennel will work. After that, anyone wanting to do some water work or people doing duck search will drive about a quarter mile to the ponds. Overall, it is pretty relaxed and there is opportunity to watch more experienced handlers and dogs work if you want to.

I am still new to this whole thing and my 13 mo. old PP is my first hunting dog. It is always a good time out there and I always learn a lot.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any other questions. See you on Sunday! Oh, and my name is Mark.
fowlemt
Pup
Pup

Postby overit2 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Well, that's great Mark! Thanks and look forward to meeting you also, my name is Annette and my other half is Kyle. Our Weim is Cypress. Yep, first hunting dog for us also. So you attended last years training I assume? Has your PP tested in NA yet?
overit2
Started
Started

Postby fowlemt » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:43 pm

Yes, Radar had his first training day at 11 weeks old. He did his NA test in October, he had a good day and came out with a 112. Now to begin the journey to UT.
fowlemt
Pup
Pup

Postby Densa44 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:26 am

Sounds great so far. Remember that there is NO rush just go as fast with the training as the dog wants, and if you don't train for a component of the test you won't get it. This is not a game of chance or luck.

Have fun and make new friends.

Get them to show you how to "hydrate" a dog. I use those G2 bottles with the screw top opening and squirt the water in the side of her mouth.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Training