Postby Birddogs » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:12 pm

Can someone explain to me how VHDF started , and your thoughts on the
organization .
Birddogs
Started
Started

Re: How did VHDF come to be !

Postby slistoe » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:12 pm

This is America. Re-inventing the wheel is what we do.

Other than that I go nothing.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:21 pm

IIRC...something along the lines of a group of people weren't completely satisfied with NAVHDA's evaluation system, so started something new.
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby gwp4me2 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:37 pm

Kind of a cross between NAVHDA and JGHV. Some people who had been involved with both and recognized weaknesses in both created VHDF. I have tested in both NAVHDA and VHDF and help train for JGHV. I like the 10 point scoring over 4 point. I like having 'prizes' because they require minimum proficiency in all categories. I feel like none of the tests are true duplicates between NAVHDA and the VHDF and you could have a reasonable progression back and forth between them. something like HAE-NA-AHEA-UT-PE-IT although the last 2 could be debated depending whether you choose to do a blood track.
gwp4me2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby marysburg » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:33 pm

I think the dissatisfaction with NAVHDA which went on to result in the formation of the VHDF, had to do with the dog registry which is required by NAVHDA in order to participate in tests. VHDF does not require that testing dogs are of a particular breed or registered with a particular registry. Test result data bases are maintained by both organizations. The tests are similar in most requirements, but there are differences worth noting.
marysburg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby gwp4me2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:17 am

marysburg wrote:I think the dissatisfaction with NAVHDA which went on to result in the formation of the VHDF, had to do with the dog registry which is required by NAVHDA in order to participate in tests. VHDF does not require that testing dogs are of a particular breed or registered with a particular registry. Test result data bases are maintained by both organizations. The tests are similar in most requirements, but there are differences worth noting.

I think if you know some of the key players there was at least as strong of dissatisfaction with the JGHV(VDD-GNA). I think the registry was just more a matter of making the new org much easier to manage. Those that I know have a main focus of evaluating dogs. Thus the 10pt scoring, no prizes, no registry, etc.
gwp4me2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby KJ » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:17 pm

As mentioned, the VHDF tests are more of a NAVHDA/JGHV hybrid available for non-JGHV members (JGHV members can test, too). The VHDF is just a testing organization with no interest in a registry. The VHDF testing structure is more similar to JGHV in regard to the test scoring, structure, and what you ask of the dog at certain ages, although the actual tasks lean more towards North American hunting (like NAVHDA).

I believe that the primary purpose of the VHDF was to fill some of the holes in NAVHDA, regarding the evaluation of a dog's genetic ability and breeding potential. The JGHV 12 point system and 2nd test (i.e. HZP) are of great value for breeding purposes, and NAVHDA does not have these.

I have tested in both NAVHDA and VHDF and feel that NAVHDA is a great testing organization for an individual, but VHDF is a much better breeding tool.

As an example, I feel that I can take about any decent dog and show up to a NAVHDA natural ability test and expect to get a 110 or 112. It is going to take a much better performance to get a maximum 70 (or above) in the VHDF HAE test, even though the tasks required of the dog are almost exactly the same.
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:03 am

I got two free hats and two T-shirts from Jeff Funke. Never got anything free from NAVHDA. I wearing one of the hats right now. In America, it's all about the free stuff.....and what KJ said.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Birddogs » Mon May 15, 2017 8:48 am

Free stuff I'm in ....
The VHDF idea for Alberta isn't dead , we are just reassessing the market .
Interestingly the CKC related trials , clubs are busy having internal
combustion and NAVHDA growing by leaps and bounds .
Thanks for the help .
Birddogs
Started
Started

Postby Meridiandave » Mon May 15, 2017 8:20 pm

orhunter wrote:I got two free hats and two T-shirts from Jeff Funke. Never got anything free from NAVHDA. I wearing one of the hats right now. In America, it's all about the free stuff.....and what KJ said.

Did Funke start the VHDF or did he just gravitate that way, after his parting ways with the NAHVDA folks?
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Constructeur » Sat May 20, 2017 5:52 am

orhunter wrote:I got two free hats and two T-shirts from Jeff Funke. Never got anything free from NAVHDA. I wearing one of the hats right now. In America, it's all about the free stuff.....and what KJ said.

...one other difference; you'll actually find people at a NAVHDA event... 8)
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby KJ » Sat May 20, 2017 9:48 am

True.....but how many of those people are actually hard-core, avid hunters anymore? I am seeing a lot more people in NAVHDA that bought a hunting dog for a companion, so figured they should try hunting the dog :crazyeyes: I still love NAVHDA, but the demographic has changed.
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Sat May 20, 2017 12:52 pm

KJ wrote:

True.....but how many of those people are actually hard-core, avid hunters anymore? I am seeing a lot more people in NAVHDA that bought a hunting dog for a companion, so figured they should try hunting the dog :crazyeyes: I still love NAVHDA, but the demographic has changed.

I've seen the same but it's mostly at NA tests and even then it's about 25% of the field. For UT, I see almost all avid hunters running their dogs. With the commitment to training it takes to have a solid UT dog, most of the casual folks don't go any further than NA. I will say this, I get a little annoyed when someone tells me they want to work on steadiness on point and I help them out by setting up launchers or planting birds and it turns out what they really wanted to do was come out for the day and have someone plant birds so they can be shot for their dog, regardless of its level of steadiness. It's only happened a couple times at Training Days but it's annoying because there are other people waiting to actually train their dog. BTW, here in the East I'm not even sure there's any VHDF events near me. I've only ever heard of the organization on this forum.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Constructeur » Mon May 22, 2017 9:32 pm

KJ wrote:

NAVHDA, just like any of this, is what you make of it. The group I train and hunt with isn't into the soft stuff either, we pretty much train for UT, add in some HRC stuff and we're ready to stack feathers.

You aren't the normal breeder that wants to jump through heaps of hoops. Funkes group hasn't gained any traction here in the PNW from what I've seen, and after researching it a bit and talking to the local contact (Bruce w/ shorthairs? iirc) I just don't see how utilizing that group would end up with me having more birds in the bag.

I guess that's me saying I think Jeff has failed to make the group relevant to more than a select few.
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Georgia Boy » Mon May 22, 2017 10:01 pm

Pretty sure Funke started his group after he parted ways with VDD
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion. http://www.vommountaincreek.com
Georgia Boy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to German and European Testing Systems