Hearing Protection

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Hearing Protection

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:53 am

There was a good thread awhile back about electronic hearing protection. I hunted last season with a low tech approach of a foam ear plug in my left ear (right hand shooter).

This year I am using the following product. https://www.soundgearhearing.com/produc ... s-shooters

It was a way to get into some electronic hearing protection without spending twice or three times the money. This product has worked well for me so far (several dove hunts with limits shot, teal and waterfowl hunts with 3 inch 12 gauge shells, and some upland bird hunts thus far) They are comfortable to wear with a good fit using the standard issue orange plugs, I can hear normal sounds well and the noise reduction when shooting works as it should.

They do not have an on/off switch so it requires putting a tiny battery in and taking it out with each use. I have to be careful where I do that and I place the battery and components in a small sandwich bag which I then place in the carry case provided to keep track of them when not in use. For the $400 price point I can easily handle that.

I expect the much higher priced products offer advantages over this one. One being more hearing enhancement for normal sound levels. That is not a feature I need/want and rather I was looking for an ability to hear as normal as possible while damping the damaging levels of noise while shooting. I think this product accomplishes that. Thought I would pass it along. Happy Hunting.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Hearing Protection

Postby blue04 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:46 pm

I have been using a set more or less identical to these (http://www.espamerica.com/elite-digital/) for about 8 years. I'm extremely happy with them. Mine were bought from a local hearing doc that has his own lab and makes the shells (custom molded to fit your ears) and the electronic guts in his own lab. At $500 out the door, mine cost A LOT less than the MSRP advertised on ESP America site.

I have never seen or used the ones you mentioned. If you can find a deal similar to what I described above, I would go with that style as I think they're probably more comfortable to wear for long periods and the ones I have fit so well that I'd virtually guarantee they won't fall out of my ears. To me, the extra $100 is worth it for a set of plugs that are custom molded, and to have a local doc/lab that will fix them if they ever break.

If you can't find a local doc that does the custom molded type for a reasonable price, I would guess the set that AverageGuy linked to are probably the next best thing.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:13 pm

You guys hearing wild flushing birds to the side and behind you ok?
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:45 pm

As I said, I've never used the product that AverageGuy linked. But with my electronic plugs, my hearing is better than with my un-plugged ears. I often wear them when I'm big game hunting because I can hear distant gobblers and deer crunching through leaves much better with them in. If you're asking about directional hearing (IE: being able to tell which direction a sound came from), I have no problem with that either.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:06 am

Walker has new in-ear product that I am interested in. I've always enjoyed their over-the-ear protection.

Just came out this summer, so real reviews are lacking. Only ~$150, not sure if it's a good deal or if you get what you pay for.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:57 am

mtlhdr wrote:You guys hearing wild flushing birds to the side and behind you ok?

Yes.

And they are comfortable - I wore them day after day on my last trip and all day a couple of days with no discomfort. Next to impossible for them to fall out of my ears. They come with two different sleeve sizes.

I have no basis for comparison to other products. I lean towards you get what you pay for but there are exceptions to that sometimes. It was nice to order off the internet and have them show up in my mailbox.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:53 am

I've been looking at getting something likes these examples - thanks for the reviews as I'll have to check them both out

plus I need to send my hearing aides back in to the VA to get the one repaired,,,wife says I need to as she's tired of my old man ears!
J D Patrick
Started
Started

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions