Dogtra Pathfinder

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dogtra Pathfinder

Postby bhennessy » Thu May 04, 2017 8:48 am

Anyone used the Dogtra Pathfinder? If I had a big running dog(s) I'd spring for a dedicated GPS tracking and training collar, but my Griff is a close working pup so I'd rather not spend the money. The Pathfinder's smart phone platform seems like it could be a good way to get tracking capability piece of mind at a lower price...assuming it works well, the maps and range are usable, etc.

I also can't tell from Dogtra's website if it can run two collars, which is a show stopper if not. We've got a new Griff pup coming and although it will be a many months before he's on an e collar, it would seem stupid to buy one that can't handle multiple dogs. Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Dogtra Pathfinder

Postby NC Quailhunter » Thu May 04, 2017 11:57 am

I am looking into this way also. Just need the peace of mind. It says on the Dogtra site that it is expandable to 21 dogs so that should ease your concern about the new pup.
I hope someone has this and will write about it.
NC Quailhunter
Started
Started

Postby bhennessy » Thu May 04, 2017 3:27 pm

I saw that too NC, however I assumed that meant you could track up to 21 of your buddies' dogs too, but not use the e collar functionality on the dogs.

You are correct...I assumed wrong. I sent Gun Dog Supply an email because they sell the Pathfinder and was told multiple dogs could be easily controlled via the smart phone (as opposed to the remote). I struggle to navigate my android so I'm interested to see how this functionality works.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bhennessy » Thu May 04, 2017 3:34 pm

Here's what Duane said in an email from Gun Dog Supply:

"It is very simple to use the e collar function with multiple dogs. The way the smartphone app is set up is you just select the dog from the list, then give the correction. So it doesn't take much finger movement to give the correction to any dog you are tracking. Depending on your terrain you should be able to reach out .75 to 1.5 miles. The maps are very detailed and accurate. They are based off of google maps."
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby vman » Fri May 05, 2017 9:13 am

So far I love mine. Much simpler to use than the Garmins that I have owned. Basically three pages, map, compass, and ecollar. You change pages by sweeping your finger in the direction of the needed page. much faster to navigate. The ecollar page has a large button labeled for the dog and in the middle of the button is the setting level of the collar. You can move the intensity by arrows up or down or also sweep with your finger.
I am still learning with it, but at this time I wear the phone on my arm via a runners phone holder. When I need to look at it all I have to do is look at my arm. Hands free use. My phone is connected to my hearing aids via a bluetooth device. So when the dog goes on point, the Pathfinder says dog on point and I hear it in my hearing aids. Then all I need to do is a quick glance at the compass on my arm and I go to my dog. No waiting for the garmin to change screens from hanging upside down, and then having to go to the compass screen.
At half the cost of a garmin this is a game changer. Once the google maps are downloaded in initial setup you can then go offline so you are not burning data and you do not need cell reception.
I am sure there will be some type of scenario where it fails to work properly but I have not had one yet.
http://www.rockwoodkennels.net
http://www.dogtra-ecollars.net

Home of the Versatile Vizsla

Northern Lights Tricky Dick UT PZ2 198pts
Rockwoods Csouarberki Estike UT PZ1 201pts.
Rockwoods Beretta UT PZ1 193pts.
Rockwoods Kivalo Maverick UT PZ1 196 pts.
VC Rockwoods Kivalo Supertramp UT PZ1 204 pts
VC Rockwoods Kivalo Gunsmoke UT PZ1 204 pts.
FC Rockwoods Little Nutsy 24months 28days
vman
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby NC Quailhunter » Fri May 05, 2017 11:17 am

VMan
Thanks for posting that. Your reply is the only review by a user that I have seen. It sounds good. Hopefully a few more get on and talk about there experiences. I really like the price point and I am thinking of going with it.
NC Quailhunter
Started
Started

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions