Bird Hunting Boots - What do you all Like and Why

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Bird Hunting Boots - What do you all Like and Why

Postby jlw034 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:25 am

I have read that danner Bootso made in USA are way better than their China boots....and also cost more.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:50 am

I've worn shorter boots than my Kenetreks but they fill with grass seed and other unwanted stuff. I haven't worn the Kenetreks in much snow but tons of rain here in western Oregon when deer and elk hunting. My wife made me some lightweight gaiters out of polartek to go over the tops and my feet stay dry and very warm in the worst of weather and wet brush.
Last edited by orhunter on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:08 pm

I have the Danner Grouse and Rainforest boots (thank goodness I get an every-other year boot allowance for work). They are built on the same last, and both made in America. Love them both, but the Grouse (non Vibram) bob sole couldn't hold up to chukar hunting. I've tried a couple other danners that were built on different lasts and/or not made in the USA and ditched them ASAP. Heard good things about the Kenetreks, but have no reason to try them.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:40 am

AverageGuy wrote:Ryan, I looked at the Danner Grouse Boots. I wondered how long you have had the Danner Grouse boots and if they are still waterproof? Also wondered how stiff the sole is? Thanks for the response.

This will be the 2nd season I've had them. I wore them all last season and all training season this year so far. Still waterproof, especially if I keep up with treating the leather as needed. Only had one issue of dampness (3 weeks ago) inside the toebox and that was after training most of the day in tall, very wet grass combined with boots whose leather was overdue for treatment. A waterproof, breathable membrane like Gore Tex works best with good leather that is regularly treated, otherwise after awhile the membrane just gets inundated with moisture from the wet grass slapping against the toe of the boot with each step.

The sole isn't weak but I wouldn't say it's nearly as stiff as a pair of Meindls or Kenetreks. The Grouse boots work well here in the mountains, hillsides and farmland of the East. Likely a good boot for the hills and prairies out West but perhaps aren't good choice for the steep, rugged chukar mountains. And yes the only Danner boots really worth the money and Danner name are their US made boots, definitely not their cheap China line.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:29 am

I agree those Danner Pronghorns are kind of a disposable boot compared to my Kenetreks. Two seasons max for bird hunting. But man are they light and comfortable on my feet for those 2 years and at half the money they might be better economics than some think. I still have 3 pairs in varying stages of wear. one of which I only wear when archery elk hunting so they will last me a long time at that rate. The sole on the Pronghorns is very quiet under your feet which is another feature that draws me to them in that setting.

Just like dogs, there are always tradeoffs between choices.

But I am in the market for a better quality leather boot for the colder, wetter hunts. Thanks for the good input Gentlemen. Think I will give the Grouse boots a go next.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:02 am

AverageGuy wrote:.....But I am in the market for a better quality leather boot for the colder, wetter hunts. Thanks for the good input Gentlemen. Think I will give the Grouse boots a go next.

I'm not in the market as my Meindl's have served me well. If I were going to look at a Danner boot it would likely be these. More leather, fewer seams and only 2 oz. heavier.

http://www.danner.com/product/hunt/elk- ... -400g.html

Looking at the Grouse boot there are too many seams for me where they have added the cordura panels. The seams are usually the first place to leak with goretex and to show signs of wear from the abrasions of crp. Yes, they will be OK for crossing a small stream or puddle but tromping wet grass for hours and they will leak. I don't think any leather boot is completely waterproof even with gortex so I treat my boots with Sno-Seal regularly. Apply and then heating the boot with a hair dryer so the Sno-Seal will penetrate into the pores of the leather works best.

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:28 am

Good points. I am with you on the Sno-seal.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:55 pm

Plantar Faciaistis has been a long time issue for me.
I need high ankle stability as well as professional insoles ... So I have gone with a very good pair of waterproof snake boots
with roller laces.
I hunt in timber , lots of logs , etc... and when out west clods of earth.
Never had issues.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:52 pm

I ended up buying Kenetrek Uninsulated 10 inch Mountain Boots. They are available in a B width and fit me excellent. Great ankle stability and footbed, reasonable weight, great traction. Been hunting this week in 4 degree temps wearing good Smartwool socks and my feet have never been cold, - including 5 hours of walking yesterday. Very pleased with them so far.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Will.Johnson » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:30 am

Surprised no one has mentioned Russell Moccasin Co. They make excellent custom made to order foot ware. Use them for backcountry bow hunts as well. Only had to have the soles replaced once. Never had had any leaking issues. With a narrow foot, the custom fit option sold me. Also have their turkey/snake and Cavalier boots for everyday wear. Highly recommend them. All these boots are 10+ years old and still going strong. Pricey but you only cry once when you buy quality.
Will.Johnson
Pup
Pup

Postby bhennessy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:33 am

Will.Johnson wrote:Pricey but you only cry once when you buy quality.

Ha! Love it...amen to that. That is what I keep telling my wife about the Porsche 911s I've been eyeing for the past 20 years.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:44 am

Bhennessy: I was just talking randomly about 911's a while back and the wife says, "ya want one?" She was serious. Told her, no,would need to sell the boat to have a place to park it and I'm not sellin' the boat.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby volraider » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:34 pm

I got 6 years out of the Danner grouse boot before the gortex gave up. I bought a new pair of Danner Elk hunters that I reallly like. Stay away from the china danner boots, I only got 1 season from the sharptails before they leaked.
1 Year old male Shorthair from Westwind kennels.
volraider
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby volraider » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:34 pm

I got 6 years out of the Danner grouse boot before the gortex gave up. I bought a new pair of Danner Elk hunters that I reallly like. Stay away from the china danner boots, I only got 1 season from the sharptails before they leaked.
1 Year old male Shorthair from Westwind kennels.
volraider
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:56 pm

volraider wrote:I got 6 years out of the Danner grouse boot before the gortex gave up. I bought a new pair of Danner Elk hunters that I reallly like. Stay away from the china danner boots, I only got 1 season from the sharptails before they leaked.

You like the Elk hunters better than the grouse?
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions