That's a Wrap

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

That's a Wrap

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:24 pm

Chancey and I wrapped up our season with a couple of chukar hunts in Nevada. Numbers seemed down this year and we never really could get 'em figured out in the some of the new spots we tried, and these two hunts were more of the same.

Day 1. Small covey, plucked one but they rest flushed to the next county.

Muley

Silhouette on bluff

Mess of sage grouse. Might have to go after these next September.

Super nice bird

Day 2. This turned out to be a small group of three birds that were running when I caught up to them. They flushed well out of range.

Covey #2. Flushed over bluff with no chance for a shot.

Last covey of season. Managed one bird off the flush.

Already suffering from post-season withdrawl...
Last edited by mtlhdr on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: That's a Wrap

Postby LongHammer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:44 pm

That is one fine looking dog. That smooth coat really shows what great shape he is in. I gotta say your pics are motivational. Makes me want to chase the next sunrise hunt stuff down and shoot it! You two had a great season thanks for taking us along.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:48 pm

Walking beautiful country behind your dog, some great photos to remember it by and couple of hard earned late season birds. Good way to end the season.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby modocgsp » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:37 pm

If you're interested in the sage hen hunt on the Sheldon let me know. I'm thinking I will put in for the draw next year.
modocgsp
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:55 am

modocgsp wrote:If you're interested in the sage hen hunt on the Sheldon let me know. I'm thinking I will put in for the draw next year.

Sounds good. Looks like we can put in as a party.

AverageGuy wrote:Walking beautiful country behind your dog, some great photos to remember it by and couple of hard earned late season birds. Good way to end the season.

Couldn't agree more, AG.

LongHammer wrote:That is one fine looking dog. That smooth coat really shows what great shape he is in. I gotta say your pics are motivational. Makes me want to chase the next sunrise hunt stuff down and shoot it! You two had a great season thanks for taking us along.

Thanks! I really enjoy taking the photos and looking back at them, and I'm glad folks enjoy them as well.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:27 am

Great pictures of Chance, as usual... but man that chukar country looks so mild and flat I think Rowdy would tip over if he stood on it.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:51 pm

RowdyGSP wrote:... but man that chukar country looks so mild and flat I think Rowdy would tip over if he stood on it.

Yup, for sure. This is an area we hunted pretty hard to see if it would bear fruit. This particular part is about a mile-long plateau that ranges from 0.25 to 0.5 mile wide, one side is extremely steep (i.e., un-traversable) and the other side is moderately steep. This day we walked the edge of the plateau, finding a small group in the middle and two other coveys along the steep side. I'll be looking elsewhere next year.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:53 pm

Nice Photos!!
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms