Introducing Nonhunters to Duck Meat

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Introducing Nonhunters to Duck Meat

Postby LongHammer » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:18 am

I am the only hunter in my crowd so everyone wants to try some of my hard earned ducks. My ice cubes were getting a little gamey so gumbo time. 5 mallards 3 teal one buff a wigeon and a couple of ring necks should do it.
Flavor up some stock and add a pile of ducks.
Boiled them for 2 hours then picked them clean. Made a roux in my 14inch deep DO and added veggies
Added 4 lbs of andoulle sausage spiced to taste
It is pretty dang good and I pickled the ducks for 3 days and it really tamed the wild even my city slicker friends should love it. If anyone is interested I got a recipe but it makes gallons.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Introducing Nonhunters to Duck Meat

Postby J D Patrick » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:28 am

love gumbo,,,

love cooking ducks,,,

shoot me your recipe if you don't mind, may have something different from mine (mine's never the same twice!!)

thanks
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Willie T » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:21 pm

That is gonna be good LH! Duck Gumbo over rice.....
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:39 pm

Hard to go wrong with gumbo... mine never comes out the same but is usually always good. Wouldn't mind you sharing your recipe though.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deacon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:22 am

Hard to beat a good duck gumbo, especially for "off" ducks. Looks great! I haven't made gumbo in a few years now. My kids have gotten to the age where they can eat a whole mallard apiece for dinner, and as such, there is far less in the freezer when spring rolls around!

mine never comes out the same

An artist never paints the same picture twice!!! I hardly ever write down a recipe. Just an outline.
Deacon
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:47 pm

Wow, looks delicious!
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:36 pm

Well I had to type it up but here it is. This batch I drank a little to much and the total cook time pushed 5 hours.

Duck Gumbo
3 large onions 2 ½ diced ½ rough chopped
2 bunches of celery sliced
5 bell peppers diced
2 heads of garlic chopped
2 big bags of frozen okra
4 or 5 lbs. of andouille browned a little then sliced into coins
3 cups of flour
3 cups of peanut oil
½ jar Gumbo File
12 pack of quality IPA like Union Jack (you can substitute ½ bottle of bourbon)
½ cup smoked paprika
6 bay leaves
½ jar sage
½ jar of tyme
4 or 5 tablespoons of chiplote powder/ or cayenne
Handful of peppercorns
Palm of your hand full of sea salt or to taste
1 whole bottle of Louisiana hot sauce I use the one with the red dot
1 turkey fryer pot with strainer
14” deep D.O. holds 3 gallons and is a little small I may have to break out another pot
Brine gumbo ducks in 1 cup of zatarains proboil and 1 cup of brown sugar with enough water to cover for 2 or 3 days before cooking them.

Chop all veggies first and save the trimming to add to the duck boil pot. Fill the pot with ducks cover with fresh water add veggie trimmings, peppercorns, 1/2 onion and boil the ducks for about 2 1/2 hours. This could take several beers. I pull them out let them cool pick all the meat. I got a strong magnet I run through the picked meat just in case I found 3 bbs. Then strain all the boil liquid through a mesh style strainer and hold it in reserve keeping it hot.

The roux is the most important part make sure you go pee and have enough beer to last you a little over an hour. Add the oil to the DO on med low heat and stir in the flour. Now sit and stir and stir and stir the roux until it looks like chocolate cake batter. Don’t walk away don’t text a friend don’t throw a couple of bumpers for the dog. Did I mention to not stop stirring? If it gets black specs it burned and you will need to start over. This can’t be rushed there is not a cheat. This is the difference between great and good gumbo. It usually takes me about 2 ½ beers or 50 minutes. Once it is nice and dark while still stirring add onions first for about 1 minute then peppers and celery for 1 minute then garlic. When it seizes up I start ladling in the duck stock. When the DO is ¾ full I get it up to a low boil stirring till it smooths out then everyone in the pool sausage okra, spices, and hot sauce. Then low boil it for 1 more hour stirring so it won’t stick to the bottom. You may want to skim some oil off the top with a large spoon.

Some folks like it over white rice or dirty rice but I like to break a bunch of hush puppies in half shake some Louisiana Gold over the top then pour gumbo over the lot. Wash it down with a couple more beers and repeat this last step.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:20 pm

thank you - gonna make a batch up when I get back from my next few weeks travels....
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms