Setting a young dog up to succeed!

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Setting a young dog up to succeed!

Postby Willie T » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Cricket and I spent the last three days of January hunting Kansas. We spent two days chasing seasoned late season pheasant in CRP and one day hunting bobwhite and blue quail in the ground pear and sand burs along the cimarron river. Scenting conditions were less than ideal. A dry south west wind dropped mid day humidity in the low teens and pushed temps up around 60 so we only hunted till lunch each day. Our tally for the trip was 6 bobs, 2 blues, and 7 rooster pheasant. Ground pear is hard on a dog and hard to see before you are in it. Unlike prickly pear, I don't think dogs can learn to avoid it. By hunting the river bed we found enough area with minimal cactus to get three coveys of bobs and two single blues pointed.
Attacking the CRP in the late season was counterintuitive. We passed up several fields that held birds in favor of large 600 ac plus fields adjacent to harvested grain. I only put the dog down where we could hunt the edge near the grain perpendicular to the wind, such that when the birds ran, they went toward the center of the CRP, and the dog had the wind on the track, and atleast a mile to work with. Setting him up for success led to some spectacular dog work, netting 7 pointed roosters and twice as many hens. All the points came at the end of long and spirited tracks with a couple over a half mile per the Garmin.
As usual I took very few pics but I did get one of the dog pointing a runner before repositioning a half dozen times and ultimately pinning the bird. I also got one of a group of turkey which was the first point of the trip as we approached the cover along the Cimarron. The Cimmaron was arid and harsh. All in all a stellar trip.
Willie
IMG_2070.JPG

IMG_2074.JPG
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Setting a young dog up to succeed!

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:14 pm

For a long time my best dog work on Roosters has been following my dogs silently into the wind in big CRP fields. Sounds like a great trip, Willie T. Heading your way next week. Would be nice if you could arrange some rain before we get there.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:25 pm

7 roosters in the last 3 days on public ground is no small feat.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Willie T » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:25 pm

AverageGuy wrote:For a long time my best dog work on Roosters has been following my dogs silently into the wind in big CRP fields. Sounds like a great trip, Willie T. Heading your way next week. Would be nice if you could arrange some rain before we get there.

It is dry but not as dry as last winter. The rivers are still carrying more water than this time last year. I passed through your destination area last week and there was a big grass fire to the north. The convection plume was visible for over 100 miles. On the positive side, there are still plenty of birds to hunt with numbers inline with long term averages, so you stand a better than average chance of getting into em.
Safe travels and shoot straight-Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:01 pm

Sounds like a great experience for a young pup. Thanks for sharing it with us.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:05 am

nicely done Sir - and loved the turkey "first point"
J D Patrick
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:30 pm

carramrod wrote:7 roosters in the last 3 days on public ground is no small feat.

True That.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:44 pm

That is how you get it done. Seems like you 2 are a deadly combination. Glad I don't have feathers.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:44 pm

That is how you get it done. Seems like you 2 are a deadly combination. Glad I don't have feathers.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms