Final Quail Hunt of Season

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Final Quail Hunt of Season

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:50 pm

The upland season in California closed yesterday and Chancey and I got out to a new spot to finish up the year. And of course, I forgot the camera! Did capture a few pix with the cell phone.

Second covey of the day, turned out they were about 50 yards up the slope from Chance and flushed well out of range. We managed to relocate a few singles but only put one of them in the bag.

This was the single we got out of the covey in the first picture.

It was really warm, pushing 70*, so we took a couple breaks. Here's one from the ridgeline between the two draws we hunted. Pretty country for sure.

Third covey of the day. Thick creek bottom. Managed a couple shots off the flush but no birds.

Tailgate shot.

Great hunt to finish out the CA season. 4 coveys, 15 shots, 3 birds, 16+miles for Chance and about 5mi for me. If all goes right, I've got two days penciled in the calendar for NV before the season closes Feb 4.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Final Quail Hunt of Season

Postby orhunter » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:41 pm

Looks like the beast is ready for a quail dinner.

Those are some great photos. Thanks for sharing.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:07 pm

If the quail country around me looked like that I would hunt them more often. Congrats on a great season thanks for taking us along.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:39 pm

Good way to end the season.
Chance is a beautiful dog.
If you don't mind me asking ,what breed is he ? GSP ? Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:47 pm

Man, that is some awesome country right there! Really like the looks of it. And as usual, Chance is a stud.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:57 am

Drahthaar1108 wrote:what breed is he ? GSP ?

Yes, GSP.

orhunter wrote:Looks like the beast is ready for a quail dinner

He definitely earned himself a couple quail legs/feet for his efforts.

It was most assuredly one of those days that makes one feel thankful. Probably a combination of the weather (although a little too warm), the country, the companionship, the effort, and the wrapping up a great season.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:01 am

Beautiful country you hunt in. How often do you see other hunters in the field or trucks in the parking lot?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:33 pm

I know there are other people that hunt these areas but I rarely run into them. That being said, I went to plan B on this hunt because a car was already parked (I think only this was only the second time in at least 10 trips over the last 5 years that I've seen someone at this particular spot). I figured that person was hunting the creek bottom, so I just crossed the creek and headed up slope. I tend to gravitate to areas that are less used.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:27 pm

mtlhdr wrote:I know there are other people that hunt these areas but I rarely run into them. That being said, I went to plan B on this hunt because a car was already parked (I think only this was only the second time in at least 10 trips over the last 5 years that I've seen someone at this particular spot). I figured that person was hunting the creek bottom, so I just crossed the creek and headed up slope. I tend to gravitate to areas that are less used.

This seems to be a standard of the folks that post in the hunting forum. We go where others don't tread and we do it with no company but the only ones dumb enough to go with us our dogs.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms