One Final Waterfowl Trip

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

One Final Waterfowl Trip

Postby LongHammer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:14 pm

I like to close my season on an evening hunt. It just gives it a little closure. It was about 80 degrees when I got out of the BMW. I hate hiking in waders I was soaked before I even got to the water. I was out to shoot only trophy ducks no coots or sawbills this trip. First thing a kayaker kicked up 3 ring necks that headed right at me not what I was looking for but the 3rd of the group was lagging and not gaining altitude. I figured he took some steel before so I put him down. Turns out the ring neck had a ring around his neck. An elastic hair tie.
It had started to cut into the back of his neck. So I sat in my blind watching a parade of ringnecks, buffs and sawbills for the next 2 hours. Literally right as my alarm for sunset went off a pair of mallards came into view. I hit the call they locked up and were dropping right on the X. 20 yards feet down I rose up pointed the shot and lowered it back down. It was perfect those 2 ducks finishing into this sunset is how I wanted it to end.
I sat there till dark watching the duck's fly by with Otto fidging whining questioning my sanity. Sometimes the best ducks of the season are the ones you don't shoot.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: One Final Waterfowl Trip

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:07 pm

Beautiful sunset and a great ending. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:07 pm

That is truly what it's all about. Not about stacking up big piles of ducks (although I certainly do love doing that), but much more the companionship of your dog, sitting in nature, watching beautiful sunrises and sunsets amidst flights of wild fowl. Great way to end it! Honestly cannot think of a better way.

Side note: the first redhead I ever shot (which was this year) was flying funny when I put some steel in him. Turned out he had swallowed a circle hook and had the line wrapped all around his tongue and face, to the point his tongue was swollen and protruding out his beak. Was glad I shot him to put him out of that misery.
Last edited by RowdyGSP on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:14 pm

Nice job on the Sunset Photo! Enjoyed riding along on your waterfowl season in the desert.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:09 am

Now that's the way to end the season! I don't duck hunt much, but there really is nothing like sitting in a blind before or after shooting time watching and listening. One of my most memorable hunts was one where I think we shot one limit between two of us. What made it memorable was about 10 minutes before shooting time literally thousands and thousands of ducks flew right over us from their roosting to feeding area. I'll never forget it.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms