Why am I missing?

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Why am I missing?

Postby TruAblePup » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:34 pm

Hi all,

I am a new hunter. I was out today hunting crows, as they are the only bird currently in season. I successfully called in several crows and missed 6 times! I am using A 20-gauge shotgun with an improved-cylinder choke, 7/1/2 shot. I lead a bit on each shot. What am I doing wrong? Wrong choke?

I am guessing the shots were about 40-50 yards away at a 45 degree angle.

Thanks for helping a rookie!

TD
Isaac II vom Buffeltaler "Pax" - VJP 73
TruAblePup
Started
Started

Re: Why am I missing?

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:19 pm

A lot depends on circumstances. If your distance estimate is accurate, 40 - 50 yards is a bit long for IC. It all depends on how fast they were flying (probably not very fast), with regards to lead.

Here is an article with a pretty decent chart, regarding chokes:

https://1source.basspro.com/index.php/c ... hoke-tubes
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TruAblePup » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:34 pm

Thank you!
TruAblePup
Started
Started

Postby LongHammer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:38 pm

At 50 yards they are not called in yet. Wait till they start to flair before you shoot. 20 to 30 is where you want them. 45 yards with 7.5 is stretching it for 95% of hunters old or new. Get them where you want them then kill them. Sky busting just scares them off.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:05 pm

Choke too loose, range too far for shot size.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:54 am

orhunter wrote:Choke too loose, range too far for shot size.

Yep and yep
I shoot crows with mod choke and a 1 1/4 oz load of 4's
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Chadwick » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:14 pm

At that range, you are probably behind the target. I remember when I was young, my dad took me through the math of shooting.

Let's assume your crow is flying at 30 mph which translates to 44 feet per second.

Your shot is traveling at whatever is estimated on the box, but let's assume 1200 feet per second.

At 40 yards, the crow is 120 feet away. So it is going to take the shoot 1/10 of a second to get there and in that time the target has already covered 4.4 feet. So if the shot is not at least 4.4 feet in front of the target, you are going to miss.

Add in that you are shooting 7.5 shot, so it is going to start slowly down around 30 yards and really drop off near 50, so the lead needs to be even larger.

If your crow is flying with a 15 mph wind, now your lead is at least 6.6 feet.
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TruAblePup » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:08 pm

Very helpful. Thanks guys!
TruAblePup
Started
Started

Postby gundog » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:11 pm

Have you put this gun on paper? It could be shooting very high or very low, a low gun is easier to adjust than a high POI. You may want to shoot it at a blank 36x36 sheet of paper at 30 yards and see.

Also, you may have your lead down but if you are stopping your swing you will always shoot behind them. Hit the clays course and I am sure many skilled shooters will give you free advice.
gundog
Pup
Pup

Postby gundog » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:11 pm

Have you put this gun on paper? It could be shooting very high or very low, a low gun is easier to adjust than a high POI. You may want to shoot it at a blank 36x36 sheet of paper at 30 yards and see.

Also, you may have your lead down but if you are stopping your swing you will always shoot behind them. Hit the clays course and I am sure many skilled shooters will give you free advice.
gundog
Pup
Pup

Postby Kiger2 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:29 pm

Check for correct eye Dominance.

Shoot gun off a bench and aim like a rifle. Use a full choke. Make sure the gun shoots straight and the barrel is not bent.

If its a double make sure both barrels shoot where they should.

Next, Fit. It is more likely that the gun does not fit than that it does. There multiple things to check with fit. I would recommend getting a copy of the stock fitters bible by Rollin oswald. It will detail everything to help you determine the correct dimensions of your gun for you. some elements of fit will need to be done before you work on mounting practice.

Mounting practice. Go to optimum shooting performance ( Gil and vicki ash ) and check out their mounting practice drills. Plus lots of other very useful info to help you out. You will need to mount the gun consistently before shooting the pattern board to help figure your correct stock dimensions.

Given what you stated. It is possible that the choke was too open and the shot to small?????

BUT, Most likely cause from your statements is " I lead a bit on each shot". It may seem odd, but if you are thinking about the lead, then you are looking at the barrel. How can you figure lead if you dont look at the barrel? If you look at the barrel during the shot, you will stop your swing and miss behind. You will not know you stopped. Your hard focus should be on the bird. Your brain will know where the barrel is.

Im not an expert shot. In fact I just got back from chukar hunting and shot terrible. I know my gun fits, Ive checked it and birds going basically straight away were dead. Crossers not so much. I have a lot to work on for next season. But i know what it is.

Good luck. No short cuts! Will take a little bit of effort.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:05 pm

Almost forgot. when you get it fitted, do yourself a big favor and go gets couple of lessons. A good instructor can identify issues and help you correct them. Good shooting!!
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:14 pm

OP, at this stage in your shooting career lack of experience is your biggest problem. My advice to you is to get five large 4' x 4' pieces of paper and set them up at 10, 20, 30, 40, & 50 yards. Take some tape and put an "x" in the center of each. Take your 7.5 shot and shoot each one. You will see a progressively bigger circle. As the circle gets bigger, the coverage(pattern) will thin out. You will be able to determine the effective range of your setup. Next pay attention to the size of the circle of at each range and where it goes. If you try to "aim" with the bead you need to be aware that 50% of that circle is behind your aim point. A good starting point is to understand that ideally you want to put that entire circle (that changes size in proportion to range) in front of the bird, so the edge of your pattern is at the bird. Once you do that you will hit a lot more birds. Now you can start working your lead out as things get farther away. Unfortunately there is no substitute for shooting at stuff. With experience you will pick up on successful sight pictures for distance and angle. Initially being aware of that "circle" will help you put your entire pattern in play and you should start hitting a few.
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby TruAblePup » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:56 pm

Willie T wrote:OP, at this stage in your shooting career lack of experience is your biggest problem. My advice to you is to get five large 4' x 4' pieces of paper and set them up at 10, 20, 30, 40, & 50 yards. Take some tape and put an "x" in the center of each. Take your 7.5 shot and shoot each one. You will see a progressively bigger circle. As the circle gets bigger, the coverage(pattern) will thin out. You will be able to determine the effective range of your setup. Next pay attention to the size of the circle of at each range and where it goes. If you try to "aim" with the bead you need to be aware that 50% of that circle is behind your aim point. A good starting point is to understand that ideally you want to put that entire circle (that changes size in proportion to range) in front of the bird, so the edge of your pattern is at the bird. Once you do that you will hit a lot more birds. Now you can start working your lead out as things get farther away. Unfortunately there is no substitute for shooting at stuff. With experience you will pick up on successful sight pictures for distance and angle. Initially being aware of that "circle" will help you put your entire pattern in play and you should start hitting a few.
Willie

Thank you Willie
TruAblePup
Started
Started

Return to Hunting & Firearms