Great minds think alike.

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Great minds think alike.

Postby LongHammer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:01 pm

Yup I played hooky too. Gotta get them while I can. First thing a big flock 40 of wigeon came parachuting into the deeks 5 minutes before shooting time. It was the biggest flock I ever had finish and didn't even fire a shot. Still a great moment standing 15 yards away hooWEEhoo! Where I was it was in the shadow of a mountain so shooting time came and went it was too dark to ID the birds coming across the dark water and trees. The first volunteers was a pair of teal that I got a true double on. A strange pair my first blue wing ever and a green wing teal. Next I hit a ring neck back a little and he took Otto for a 15 minute swim that covered a 1/4 mile. Then nothing for an hour. I got bored and started just wailing on the call like I was at the world championships to empty skies. Within 2 minutes a pair of Mallards feet down hammered them both. Then someone flew a camera drone up the river right over my spread. A little annoying but no biggie. Back on the call getting ready for Stuttgart. Here come another pair of mallards both drakes they start to flair I rush drop the first shoot at the second one miss twice see a white flash watch the drone auger into the trees on the other side of the river. Damn drone flared the birds then thew itself into the shot string to save that duck. I was irritated but there will be other ducks. Then I was Stan ding out in the wide open and a nice drake wigoen was feet down in the deeks easy one timer. My last 3 outings were limits. Shame it ends so soon after the ducks get finally get here.
Not an AverageGuy pile but not bad for being in a desert.

Here is the BMW (bloody meat wagon)
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Great minds think alike.

Postby orhunter » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:39 pm

What does drone taste like?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:09 pm

That is a great day indeed. And yeah, playing hooky is necessary sometimes... I would have blasted the drone... In Idaho and Oregon there are laws against hunter harassment, which the drone was certainly interferring with your hunt. A great way to end your season!
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:25 pm

3 straight full limits. A new addiction is formed. Do you see or hear other waterfowl hunters?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:52 pm

AverageGuy wrote:3 straight full limits. A new addiction is formed. Do you see or hear other waterfowl hunters?

Yeah you have had a banner year. I never knew desert waterfowling could be that great. Look forward to seeing more pics of yours from next year.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:58 pm

And no sawbills! :lol: I've really enjoyed following your progress this season and the photos that went along with it. Strong work.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:28 pm

AverageGuy wrote:3 straight full limits. A new addiction is formed. Do you see or hear other waterfowl hunters?

I had another hunter come up after I set up once this season. This area is tough to get to. It is a tough walk not many people want to make. You have to be over 6ft tall to wade out to the cattails in the middle of the river. The whole section is located in a no target shooting area bordered by a no shooting area for wildlife viewing. Yes I horrified more than one bird watching paddlers dropping ducks within 50 yards of them. Then the reservation runs along one entire side. Yes people hunt the river there are just easier places to go.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:23 am

Nice haul!
I’ve wondered before what I would if a drone flew in and disrupted my duck hunt. I usually picture myself shooting it. Not sure if I really would, but if it annoyed me enough I think I would add it to my limit.
Sooty42
Started
Started

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:59 am

Sooty42 wrote:Nice haul!
I’ve wondered before what I would if a drone flew in and disrupted my duck hunt. I usually picture myself shooting it. Not sure if I really would, but if it annoyed me enough I think I would add it to my limit.

A drone that was flaring ducks I was working, would quickly be added to my limit.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:59 pm

I did shoot that drone not intentionally. I don't think the guy flying it intended to disturb my hunt but I still didn't feel bad about knocking it down. I went yesterday to take a look to see if it was recovered found some debris. They could have taken their garbage out with them.
I like the impact crater.
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:14 pm

Perfect!
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster