Finally a banded duck!

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Finally a banded duck!

Postby LongHammer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:34 pm

Got out Friday it was one of those days without a dog I would not have gotten it done. Some moron left his headlamp turn on and on his head that flaired birds till 9am. Worst of that is me and Otto were hunting alone....... A 150 yard blind onto the reservation to get a poorly hit wigeon. Took him downwind and sent him 15 minutes later a dog with a wigeon shows up. WOW Then 3 ring necks in a row easy as pie. Next a pair of GWT dropped the hen then shot the tops of 2 cattails while going after the drake. No clue if I even hit it bit I didn't see it fly away. Back to the Res. Otto searched for 10 minutes working that same circle over and over. Nada! I though maybe it flew off. Hunted for 45 more minute's but the teal haunted me. Back to the Res. Took him down wind and sent him again. He was gone so long I thought he may have found some quail. 25 minutes later he pops out with a GWT drake and it had on some jewelery.

I never thought I would see one of those.
Best part while I was on the phone with my hunting buddy that hasn't gone since thanksgiving telling him about the band hold on a second boom one more ring neck for my second limit of the week.

Some 75 degree duck hunting.

Hero shot

My best year waterfowling by far. 3 limits, 5 new species and geese!
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Finally a banded duck!

Postby Deacon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:29 am

Very cool! Congratulations! And a teal no less!

My first duck, and 3 of my first 4 were banded. Talk about beginners luck! I went 10 years before adding another. I have a handful now however the guy who accompanies me more than anyone has yet to shoot one after 19 seasons together. Another friend of mine probably had less than 50 ducks under his belt when he scored a 100 reward band. I have never had such luck.
Deacon
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:07 am

Nice work longhammer. That band was some good mojo for sticking with the drake teal!
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:04 am

Great work to you and Otto, LH! Enjoy your posts.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:49 pm

What a great day. Nice reward for sticking with that duck!!
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:06 pm

That's a banner day on ducks! Especially desert ducks. Congrats on your band. In 18 years of duck hunting I have never shot a banded bird. But 75 degrees duck hunting? That just ain't right... I might have to break out the swimming trunks and sunglasses in the duck blind for that :lol:
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:01 pm

RowdyGSP wrote:That's a banner day on ducks! Especially desert ducks. Congrats on your band. In 18 years of duck hunting I have never shot a banded bird. But 75 degrees duck hunting? That just ain't right... I might have to break out the swimming trunks and sunglasses in the duck blind for that :lol:

That is actually the only cold water trout fishery located in the middle of a desert in the United States. We don't build blinds to hide from the ducks we make structures for shade 8) FIrst half of the season we don't even bother hiding we put chairs out in the water and just sit there chest deep and pass shoot.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:40 pm

LongHammer wrote:
RowdyGSP wrote:That's a banner day on ducks! Especially desert ducks. Congrats on your band. In 18 years of duck hunting I have never shot a banded bird. But 75 degrees duck hunting? That just ain't right... I might have to break out the swimming trunks and sunglasses in the duck blind for that :lol:

That is actually the only cold water trout fishery located in the middle of a desert in the United States. We don't build blinds to hide from the ducks we make structures for shade 8) FIrst half of the season we don't even bother hiding we put chairs out in the water and just sit there chest deep and pass shoot.

If you ever find yourself in North Idaho, be sure to contact me. We'll put Otto's wiry coat to good use in the duck blind.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:40 pm

I forgot to mention the snipe on my shotty. Those things fly like rockets in a 30 mph wind. They will certainly test the pattern on a duck gun. Lots of room between those number 4s.
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:23 am

LongHammer wrote:I forgot to mention the snipe on my shotty. Those things fly like rockets in a 30 mph wind. They will certainly test the pattern on a duck gun. Lots of room between those number 4s.

I always have a tough time hitting snipe. The combination of them darting and diving every which way and shooting steel #2s leaves a lot of room for missing.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:12 pm

I shot my first snipe last week, and yes they are tough! They flush pretty far out. I think the closest flushed at 20 yds, but most were in the 30-40 yd range.
Sooty42
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Bigearl » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:43 pm

Sooty42 wrote:I shot my first snipe last week, and yes they are tough! They flush pretty far out. I think the closest flushed at 20 yds, but most were in the 30-40 yd range.

Yeah you need #8 lead and mod/full choke for snipe. Fun little birds to shoot.
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JTracyII » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:11 am

Congrats! This has been my best season as well. We have had more variety in species than usual and shot our first snipe. What flyway/State are you in? I'm in Central Flyway/OK. I am wondering if it is a flyway thing or something.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:28 am

JTracyII wrote:Congrats! This has been my best season as well. We have had more variety in species than usual and shot our first snipe. What flyway/State are you in? I'm in Central Flyway/OK. I am wondering if it is a flyway thing or something.

They say Pacific but I say none/ central Arizona. The fact we have not even had winter yet has birds wandering. Nothing to drive them to traditional wintering grounds has given them some free time to explore.
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms