Cricket upstaged my new Citori.

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Cricket upstaged my new Citori.

Postby Willie T » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:34 pm

Got to get out and field test the new Citori yesterday. I planned on hitting it hard and covering a lot of ground to see how it carried but it didn't work out like that. The first 3 points and I was done in about 30 minutes. My initial impression of the Citori in the field is it handles fast and intuitive. My dog is a year and a half old now and most of my focus in the field is on him and handling. He is coming along. Hope he keeps it going in Kansas later this week. I planned on a few tailgate pics but it was raining when we got back to the truck so we loaded up and came home. I did get cell phone pics of each point.
This one did not come out very well, and it was a thing of beauty. Cricket was in fairly open cover and rolling across the wind with no prior indication of birdiness. He just about turned wrong side out when he corkscrewed into the point.
IMG_2041.JPG

This one was in the open and an easy shot.
IMG_2040.JPG

This is the last point of the day. It was up close and intense and was fun with the little 20 guage. Get on the bird at the flush and race along with it through the cover and let your subconscious take over and shoot when there is a gap in the cover.
IMG_2039.JPG

We still have a lot of things to polish but I like this dog. He has the innate ability to adjust his range to the cover and is hunting for the gun. He is wired hot, all business in the field, and doing some damage.
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Cricket upstaged my new Citori.

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:49 pm

Seems to be they both did their jobs exceptionally well! Way to go :D
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:20 pm

Cricket is looking good. Out of curiosity, what are the birds he's pointing there? Looks like either woodcock or maybe grouse cover?
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Woodcock.
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Great stuff. Dog is looking great. How can you end it after 30 minutes? I put Otto on rabbits or whatever else we can find.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 am

All productive points are wonderful, but the ones that go from a run to a stop in an instant are the best. Nice shooting too. Safe Travels to Ks.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms