Last Weekend for Waterfowl

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Last Weekend for Waterfowl

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:41 pm

This weekend is the final weekend of the Idaho waterfowl season. It closes this coming Friday. So after scouting yesterday afternoon and finding some pockets of open water that had birds on them, Rowdy and I headed out this morning and set up a modest decoy spread of 4 mallard and 2 honkers. Right at shooting time a pair of honkers came right in to the decoys and I killed one. Those were the only birds I saw flying the rest of the day. Heard 1 other gunshot and that was it. One more weekend left to hunt, so back after the chukar and huns next weekend for the closer.

A small pocket of open water amongst a sea of ice.

The honker tried to climb up on the opposite side of the water pocket, back onto the ice. Rowdy grabbed it as it climbed up and dragged it back into the water for the retrive:

"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Last Weekend for Waterfowl

Postby Doc E » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:56 pm

:D
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1405 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:29 am

Nice retrieve Rowdy!
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deacon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:29 am

Hunting the last weekend of waterfowl is always a special time for me. It gives me a chance to look back on the season with a sense of accomplishment. It also gives me pride knowing that we are still out there burning calories, putting the effort in, while others have long ago stowed their gear away and are warming their toes by the fire.

Great job and great pics! I love to see a shorthair working straight through the season. I hear time and time again that shorthairs can't handle cold water. I can attest that is absolutely true for some of them, but others, are willing to work long after their owners have decided to pick up the decoys because their feet are cold!
Deacon
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:39 am

Always enjoy reading about Rowdy's water adventures. Kinda like what Deacon said. Don't believe everything people tell ya.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:56 am

Deacon wrote:Hunting the last weekend of waterfowl is always a special time for me. It gives me a chance to look back on the season with a sense of accomplishment. It also gives me pride knowing that we are still out there burning calories, putting the effort in, while others have long ago stowed their gear away and are warming their toes by the fire.

Great job and great pics! I love to see a shorthair working straight through the season. I hear time and time again that shorthairs can't handle cold water. I can attest that is absolutely true for some of them, but others, are willing to work long after their owners have decided to pick up the decoys because their feet are cold!

Yeah, a lot of shorthairs won't do the cold water retrieving - or even warmer water or retrieving for that matter. I think in general the field trial/AKC lines (which Rowdy is) are the ones who lack retrieving, due to breeders not caring about waterwork/retrieving. Honestly, I lucked out with Rowdy. He has enough prey drive that he will hunt ducks and geese in as cold as 0 degrees. Much colder than that and he's not too thrilled about it, so I won't hunt him below zero. I think the NAVHDA and DK lines are more prone to hunting in adverse conditions.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:50 pm

Seems the shoe is on the other foot. All your ducks and geese are down here with me enjoying the hot weather. I wish there was video of Rowdy doing a Jaws on the goose to prevent the escape. Our waterfowl ends Sunday you have me wanting one final goose. They make delicious tamales. My Wirehair gets cold easy 45 degree water and 60 degrees air temp he shivers all day. But he will retrieve a 160 doves when it is 106. Poor Arizona boy never even gets covered fully in hair.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:26 pm

LongHammer wrote:Seems the shoe is on the other foot. All your ducks and geese are down here with me enjoying the hot weather. I wish there was video of Rowdy doing a Jaws on the goose to prevent the escape. Our waterfowl ends Sunday you have me wanting one final goose. They make delicious tamales. My Wirehair gets cold easy 45 degree water and 60 degrees air temp he shivers all day. But he will retrieve a 160 doves when it is 106. Poor Arizona boy never even gets covered fully in hair.

Yeah I need to start taking videos for sure... and yeah shredded goose tacos and pulled goose sammiches are my go to goose recipes. Tamales sound awesome as well.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms