The fun continues...

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

The fun continues...

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:12 pm

Our fantastic season keeps rolling along; the bird numbers are the best they've been since I've had Chance. He's has taken a real leap this season and is doing a nice job handling coveys of quail that have previously given him a little trouble.
This is the second covey of the day. I moved in for the flush but didn't produce anything. I released him and he relocated about 50 yards farther up the creek bottom. I missed two shots on the flush but got the second bird of the day on a single we later found.

This was the last point of the day. The trail out of this spot sits above a creek bottom that often holds a covey or two of birds. I was heeling Chance out because I was tired and figured we already had a great day (we had 5 birds in the bag). About half way out I cut him loose and he immediately dropped into the creek and went up the other side and went on point. I followed but I could tell by where Chance was standing I was going to have a hard time getting off a shot as the birds were buried in a big thicket. Sure enough the birds flushed out the opposite side. I wasn't going to chase 'em so I headed back up to the trail and called Chancey along. About 100 yards later Chancey started back down the slope and went on point.

I quartered down slope and...bang...bang. I manage a double to end the day. The retrieve of the first bird.

This day turned out to be one of the better days we've had. I did about 6.5mi and Chance about 19, probably had close to 20 shots (I'm a mediocre shot). Brought the tripod along so I could get a photo of me and my Chancey.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: The fun continues...

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:58 pm

Man, that looks like about the most fun a guy should be allowed to have. Nothing like a good quail hunt. And nice to see the "man behind the camera." Although I think we'll all agree we'd still rather look at Chance's mug than yours.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:55 am

Only thing better than a great hunt is getting some beautiful photos of the dog work and scenery as well. Ending on a double too! Nice. How long does your season run?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 am

:D
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1450 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:23 pm

How is a guy supposed to get any work done during the week looking at trips like this. Great looking dog great looking country. Gotta love the double. Quail out here in AZ is way different. Pull the plug out of your shotty and wade out into the cactus forest in shorts and a t shirt in January/February.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:45 pm

RowdyGSP wrote: I think we'll all agree we'd still rather look at Chance's mug than yours.

For sure!

AverageGuy wrote:Only thing better than a great hunt is getting some beautiful photos of the dog work and scenery as well. Ending on a double too! Nice. How long does your season run?

Thanks! We're done last Sunday in January (the 28th this year). Then have another week for chukar in NV.

LongHammer wrote:Quail out here in AZ is way different. Pull the plug out of your shotty and wade out into the cactus forest in shorts and a t shirt in January/February.

Someday!
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms