Spectacular Dog Work This Weekend.

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Spectacular Dog Work This Weekend.

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:18 pm

Had a fun weekend with just Rowdy and I. It was like watching poetry in motion, seeing him working the ridges up to 480 yards away from me (according to the Garmin) and locking up on point on Huns. Over 4 hours of hunting on Saturday, Rowdy had 9 points on Hun coveys in some rugged terrain. A few times it took me over 10 minutes to make my way over to him before having the birds flush between him and I. I have found that walking far around in front of the dog is the best way to pin the birds so they don't run out from under the point. 1 of the coveys flushed out of gun range. Rowdy had them pointed from 100 yards away and I walked in 50 yards in front of him, when they flushed an additional 50 yards from me. Normally he points them about 30 to 50 yards away, but this was about 50 or 60 birds and he obviously thought they were closer due to more scent. All of the other coveys held pretty well and I doubled twice, took singles out of 3 coveys and whiffed 3 other coveys.

A Happy Dog after he put in 26 miles for a near-limit of Huns:

Pointing a 50+ bird covey of huns that was clear on the other side of the hill:

Sunday we tried a different area that was close-by, where I have found both chukar and huns before. Rowdy pointed 3 pairs of chukar (obviously paired up, due to temps in the 50s and 60s for the past few weeks) so we gave the pairs a pass and instead enjoyed watching some nice dog work. He also got a mysterious battle wound on his tongue that bled like a sonofagun. Assuming either caught it on barbed wire, a thorny bush or bit it when running.

Sidehilling is a royal PIA but the views are nice:

"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Spectacular Dog Work This Weekend.

Postby orhunter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:23 pm

Great day!! Looks like super Hun country..no rocks. Agree, side hilling sucks. Done so much of it my right leg is 5/8 inch longer than my left. I walk funny on flat land.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Only 5/8? Jeez, you must be on the mild stuff Harvey.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:28 pm

Fantastic! You and Rowdy both put it together. Those days are magic. My Jack dog had a tongue injury once that bled so bad I thought I was going to have to take him to an ER.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:35 pm

That is a great looking dog! You 2 are tearing it up. Great time to be a hunter and great time to be running a dog. Otto took a one hop bumper to the grill and it put his tooth through his tongue. It looked like a crime scene but didn't bother him at all.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:04 am

Nice work Rowdy dog! I'll forever be in awe of what these dogs do day in and day out in search of birds. They are so dang tough, mentally and physically.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:59 am

LongHammer wrote:That is a great looking dog! You 2 are tearing it up. Great time to be a hunter and great time to be running a dog. Otto took a one hop bumper to the grill and it put his tooth through his tongue. It looked like a crime scene but didn't bother him at all.

Yep, I've whacked a dog with a bumper before... ugly
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms