First birds of the new year

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

First birds of the new year

Postby mtlhdr » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:09 am

Got after it yesterday after a few weeks of not being able to get out. Had one of our better days, even shot my first triple. Not our best photo day, but here goes:
This was a random single we came across in some pretty heavy cover. It flushed out the back side when I moved in. No shot.

Another single, this one I managed to hit. Chance's ears weren't cooperating with the photographer today.

Chance retrieving one of the triple. Caught this covey along the edge of the thick stuff, which afforded better-than-usual shot opportunities.

Chance on a single in heavy cover along a creek. This bird held tight and made me slide down the bank to flush it, at which point I had no shot when it did.

I think this covey was running when I found Chance on point. After taking the photo I started down into the creek, a which point the covey flushed up the opposite slope, about 40 yards from Chance and 80 yards from me. The birds were rather uncooperative but we managed a single before calling it a day.

Happy New Year everyone.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: First birds of the new year

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:32 am

Congratulations on the triple! Your photos might not be your best but they are beautiful. Looking back on them over the years will bring you alot of enjoyment.

Chasing roosters here. Speaking of photo challenges here is one from yesterday. Roosters are coming hard enough that I admit to running my gun vs my camera on the points.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:26 pm

Those birds are beautiful!
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:01 pm

Photos look just great to me. That's a nice day... and you seemingly know how to pick out the rooster quail better than I do. I usually have just as many hens as roosters, if not more. Good looking dog, that Chance.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:45 pm

Thanks for the compliments. I definitely will enjoy looking back at the photos and the memories they'll evoke. I had one of those days where I felt like, if I could get a picture at all, it was of my dog's arse (with an ear flipped)! :lol:

That's a nice one AG, really gives a sense of the cover you guys are working in. There's definitely a fine line between snapping a photo and missing the flush. I use a decent telephoto and sometimes crop the image at home, that's how I balance getting a photo while still getting a shot a the flush. The birds are really good looking this time of year. All the young ones are pretty much full-size. All their crops were stuffed full of seeds and berries so they have definitely been eating well. I didn't notice the male/female thing until I lined them up for the photos. I've never had a ratio like that, it's usually a pretty even split from my recollection.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:59 pm

Mtlhdr, looks like good times and the birds are gorgeous!
Several of you guys do an excellent job with a camera and seem to capture the feel of the hunt and country. I feel like I am upping my game if I remember to put my cell phone in my pocket, so I can snap a few pics in the field instead of one obligatory glory shot at the end of the day. I'm gonna work on that.....
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:49 pm

It has been to hot for us to head to the cholla forest to chase some quail. I do have a bit of a hankerin now. As always you make it tough to not be hunting.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms