Good Product for Toughening Pads?

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Good Product for Toughening Pads?

Postby flitecontrol » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:17 am

I live in the Southeast. My dogs run about two miles in the subdivision every day, and can hunt every day locally with no problems. However, when hunted in the Midwest, they will have raw pads after one day of hunting. Lewis dog boots eliminate the pad damage, but after several days, will rub the side of the foot raw. When I lived in Iowa, the dogs' pads never got sore, so it appears to be an environmental issue. Can anyone recommend a product that will toughen pads enough that I can run him without boots?
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Good Product for Toughening Pads?

Postby orhunter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:13 pm

My dogs never got sore feet from wearing inner tube boots. Saves a bunch of money too.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:46 am

I spend the majority of my time hunting in rocky or sandy dry climates, whether here in Kansas or week long trips to Montana or Wyoming. I have always spent a month before the season going on walks on concrete or pavement. Make sure it is not too hot on their pads also. Will also do a little work in gravel parking lots. Start slow and let the toughness build, overdoing it early can set you back. I have never put anything on their feet and had very few issues. They all have been able to hunt in sand burrs, goat horns, and prickly pear with no problem.
jarbo03
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:12 am

jarbo, the dog runs every day on pavement, but that's never been enough to get his pads as tough as they need to be. Running on gravel sounds like a good method, but I'll need to find a place with water nearby because it's so hot.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:48 am

Problem with pavement is it only works the bottom of the pad, i prefer concrete because of the texture. Gravel d2finitely does better because it gets between the toes and pads. Hot weather makes it tough, still in 90s here in Kansas, makes it tough for a dog designed to retrieve waterfowl in cold conditions. Even with water, be careful how much you work them. We have also had a few dogs that did all of the same work, and still had issues. Good luck.
jarbo03
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Dakotazeb » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:02 am

flitecontrol wrote:I live in the Southeast. My dogs run about two miles in the subdivision every day, and can hunt every day locally with no problems. However, when hunted in the Midwest, they will have raw pads after one day of hunting. Lewis dog boots eliminate the pad damage, but after several days, will rub the side of the foot raw. When I lived in Iowa, the dogs' pads never got sore, so it appears to be an environmental issue. Can anyone recommend a product that will toughen pads enough that I can run him without boots?

Toughening the pads on gravel or pavement is probably the best advice. But question how you are putting on the Lewis Dog Boots. Are you putting Vet Wrap or Duck Tape around the ankle before putting on the boots? Here's a video on Gun Dog Supply that shows a good method. https://www.gundogsupply.com/-950-.html
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:27 am

Yes, that's how I'm putting them on, with just duct tape. Used to use waterproof adhesive tape, then duct tape over that per the instructions that came with the boots, but just using duct tape is easier IMO. Either way, the side of the toes rubbing against the inside of the boot wears a raw spot after a few days. The boots are ventilated and the correct size. I'm thinking vet wrap around the foot might keep the toes from chafing, if it will stay on. The holes in the boots allow sand and other stuff to get inside the boot, which may contribute to the problem. Anyone use the unvented boots? If so, does it keep sand out?
flitecontrol
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby flitecontrol » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:45 am

Don't know if this will work, but in addition to the limited time running on gravel because of the heat, I began lightly using a wire brush on the pads, and a stiff plastic bristle brush between the toes. Will do this four or more times a day until our next trip, which will hopefully be Wyoming (ducks) and Nebraska (pheasants, grouse) in late October. We'll see how well he does after a day without boots.
flitecontrol
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Healthcare