Cauterizing agent

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Cauterizing agent

Postby bhennessy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:38 am

I was exercising my griffs off leash last week and my older pup cut his paw badly somehow. I didn’t see how he did it, nor did he give any sign of being injured but he was bleeding like a stuck pig when he ran by me next and the huge bloody paw print was hard to miss. He’s a driven blunt object and we made it back to the car and to the vet despite him loosing quite a lot of blood. The car looked like a horror movie scene even with my best efforts at direct pressure and it was the one day that week that I had the wife’s car. Some stitches, some drugs, a big bill and a team of young vet techs scrubbing the waiting room and parking lot and he’s right as rain.

I used to have some cauterizing drops (a brown liquid) that a friend gave me before hunting season a couple years ago but the bottle eventually cracked this past season — I think the stuff is very caustic and it was a little plastic dropper bottle. After this experience I’d like to buy some more but can only find the silver nitrate sticks for sale. Does anyone know where I can buy the liquid (I’m assuming it’s silver nitrate in solution), or alternatively do the sticks work well on a deep and heavily flowing wound?
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Cauterizing agent

Postby Doc E » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:25 pm

Ask your Vet.
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1450 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:04 pm

It was a little hectic when I brought him in, but will do doc, in 10 to 14 days when the stitches come out. And thanks for the advice. Perhaps someone who does know can help.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby blue04 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:54 am

I've used this on wounds of various sizes/types: https://www.amazon.com/Trophy-Colagen-W ... B0002B8CPC

I've used it with good effect on some head and mouth wounds that were quite bloody. It's quite sticky and would remind you of honey. I keep a first aid kit in the truck, so I've usually got large gauze pads on hand. I apply a large amount of EMT gel, then press a gauze pad over the wound and use pressure until the bleeding stops or we get to a vet.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare