Minnesota NAVHDA Question

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Minnesota NAVHDA Question

Postby jlw034 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:51 am

I am currently looking for my first hunting dog, and would like to see some breeds in action. I've seen it recommended to join/visit a local NAVDHA chapter, but I'm unsure of how to go about that.

Should I contact a certain someone at the chapter? Or can I just show up at a test or training night?

I'm still at least a year out on getting a dog, so I don't know if it's worthwhile to become a member yet.

Thanks for the input!

Joe
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Minnesota NAVHDA Question

Postby SMAbby » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:07 pm

I would say to get a hold of a NAVHDA chapter. Touch base with a member, maybe the pres, and tell them what you are looking for. it will help you feel more comfortable when you show up for the training day.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Good advice from SMAbby! There are three chapters in your area. Wouldn't hurt to check out a training day of each. You might connect better with one group over another. Many good people in each chapter though and a wealth of knowledge.

Go with an open mind and good luck.....

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby figgel » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:22 am

Are you in SO MN? If so, there is a NAVHDA training panel being held at the Gander Mountain in Rochester, MN on March 16th at Noon. NAVHDA expert trainers and members will be there. This may be a good time to introduce yourself. SO MN branch also has a facebook page.
figgel
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby blathens » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:14 pm

I was a member of the Pymatuning Chapter, now called the Buckeye Chapter, for 4 or 5 years before I got my first pudelpointer. I joined because I was interested in getting a GWP from a hunting breeder and learned about the pudelpointer. It was a three year wait back then for a PP.

Bill
blathens
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Seacowboy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:24 pm

Can try contacting AMOELLER1 on here. He is close to you and may be able to help you out.
Seacowboy
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby jlw034 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:51 pm

RESURRECTED!!!

Well I finally joined MN NAVHDA. What a great group of people. So much fun to watch the different breeds work. I helped out at a training day/mock test this weekend. I was dragging pheasants and hiding in weeds most of the day, but managed to peek my head out to see some great dog tracks.

In the afternoon some nice people let me follow them around and take pictures. I'm no expert, but it's fun trying to capture these dogs doing their thing. Enjoy.

http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jlw034/library/?sort=3&page=1
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to NAVHDA