new ruling

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

new ruling

Postby Calvinator » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:19 pm

I am told that the EC has passed a new ruling at the annual meeting that now requires both male and female to have a DNA before you can register the litter. That is a BS money making scheme.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: new ruling

Postby ryanr » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:54 am

I don't know if it's true or not but how if it is how is that a money making scheme for NAVHDA? Are they providing the testing source?
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:49 pm

This may come back to bite NAVHDA eventually if breeders simply use another registery to register litters. What does it cost to DNA a dog?
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:59 pm

blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:20 pm

When does the rule take effect?
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:56 pm

Regarding the NAVHDA Registry, the following motion was discussed and passed by the EC. Motion 19-19 - That the Registry committee develop a policy no later than April 1, 2019 that requires submission of DNA for both Sire and Dam before a litter may be registered with NAVHDA. Passed.

Several years ago when I had my stud done it was $65.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:01 pm

JTracyII wrote:This may come back to bite NAVHDA eventually if breeders simply use another registery to register litters. What does it cost to DNA a dog?

I doubt it. And I won't be surprised if you start seeing other registries doing the same. Folks that take their dogs to the Invitational are already doing this anyway.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:43 pm

I'm ignorant about DNA testing, but assume it's to detect genetic defects. If so, have they found any way to predict HD in the offspring?
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Deuce » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:22 am

I'm confused on how this makes NAVHDA money?

The policy isn't done yet, as the note you posted says. I don't see in there where it requires breeders to use NAVHDA's kit. Am I missing something?
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:40 pm

I assume this policy is to ensure that we know which parents were used for X breeding and less to do with health screening. Is this right?
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:25 pm

The VDD-GNA are already doing DNA test for the sire & bitch and the whole litter of pups. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:23 am

flitecontrol wrote:I'm ignorant about DNA testing, but assume it's to detect genetic defects. If so, have they found any way to predict HD in the offspring?

Its to insure the integrity of a breeding, so no one pulls a Ferrell.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:57 pm

JONOV wrote:
flitecontrol wrote:I'm ignorant about DNA testing, but assume it's to detect genetic defects. If so, have they found any way to predict HD in the offspring?

So they can verify that the parents on the pedigree are the biological parents? How many instances of cheating have they found? That's going to increase the cost of a pup significantly I would think.

Reminds me of an instance where someone mishandled funds. The accountants came up with a foolproof way to detect such behavior early on in the future. Trouble is, it was going to cost 100 times more than what a few unscrupulous individuals had been able to get away with before being caught. Gotta weigh the pros and cons.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby blue04 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:29 pm

flitecontrol wrote:That's going to increase the cost of a pup significantly I would think.

Maybe I'm missing something. I _think_ NAPPA (which is the only versatile breeders organization I have ANY experience with) already requires DNA for the sires. If that's true, we're talking about $55 per litter extra? Even if I'm wrong, it's $110 per litter.

With pups already selling for $1000 each or more, I don't see how and extra $50 - $100 per litter is going to increase the cost of pups very much.

To be clear, I'm not commenting on whether the extra DNA testing is needed or sensible. That's a different aspect of this. I just don't see the DNA testing cost as a prohibitive issue given the prices of pups.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:30 pm

flitecontrol wrote:
JONOV wrote:

So they can verify that the parents on the pedigree are the biological parents? How many instances of cheating have they found? That's going to increase the cost of a pup significantly I would think.

It's a $55 test right?
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to NAVHDA