Western Invitational

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Western Invitational

Postby Calvinator » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:50 pm

There has been discussion of a western Invitational test. The EC seems resistant from what I've heard. Curious to hear what other are thinking??

Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Western Invitational

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:47 pm

IIRC, within the last year or two, NAVHDA opened hosting the Invitational to any chapter having the required resources to hold one. All a chapter can do is submit a bid. If declined by the EC, ask what was lacking...

I'd venture to say the reluctance stems from the unknown and the potential for potential participants from Canada and the east coast not attending due to travel distance.
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:26 pm

If off subject I apologize. Why is it there can only be one Invitational site a year? Why not at least 2 to lessen the travel burden and promote more entries?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 am

AverageGuy wrote:If off subject I apologize. Why is it there can only be one Invitational site a year? Why not at least 2 to lessen the travel burden and promote more entries?

I think its a resources thing. The judges required, etc...

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. I can see how onerous it would be for someone from Washington State to make the trip to Ohio.

I've heard people say that it "lessens the meaning" of a VC title, but honestly, if the qualifications to run remain unchanged, I don't really see how that's the case.

Of course, all it would take is a western chapter to volunteer to host it...
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:38 am

AverageGuy wrote:If off subject I apologize. Why is it there can only be one Invitational site a year? Why not at least 2 to lessen the travel burden and promote more entries?

That actually was one of the proposals at this year's Annual Meeting, 2 Invitationals per year in different locations (like East and West) to allow for more of those dogs (that qualify) to participate that might not because of length of travel to test site, etc. My chapter officially supported it thru our delegate. Haven't read the meeting minutes yet to know how that proposal turned out.

If EC is overall resistant (though I'm pretty darn sure some EC members support it) I can see some good reasons why, mostly from a logistics standpoint. It takes an incredible amount of planning, organizing and volunteer effort each year just to put on one Invitational, let alone two. Heck, just from putting on chapter tests several times a year I know how much effort that consumes. After our chapter's final test weekend (of 3) this past October we were exhausted and it was like our whole executive board checked out and went into "radio silence" for about a month just to recharge.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:53 am

Taken from the website:

Central Oregon Motion - to approve a “far west invitational”.
The EC voted to not approve this motion. What this means is that the EC will not approve the creation of a separate regional Invitational per year. The EC immediately put forth and passed a motion that the Invitational Committee will proactively work with representatives from the Western Region to locate an acceptable test site and to educate them on the Chapter’s responsibilities so they can determine if they want to submit a bid to host the Invitational
Note that any NAVHDA Chapter is welcome to submit a bid to host the Invitational. Upon receipt of said bid, the Invitational Committee will work with Chapter representatives to determine feasibility of the proposed location.

So I guess they decided to "meet them halfway" and help the western chapters along on a bid to host.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Calvinator » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:40 am

So why couldn't a team of 3 judges judge 6 invitational dogs just like they do a UT test? When you look at the division of NAVHDA as they have done into test, central, west there has NEVER been an Invitational held in the west. The closest to west ever was Denver, which is closer to Chicago than to many in the west. It is my understanding that there are tremendous grounds near Sacramento to host an Invitational. At the annual meeting, the delegates voted in favor of the motion. The EC denied the motion.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Calvinator wrote:So why couldn't a team of 3 judges judge 6 invitational dogs just like they do a UT test? When you look at the division of NAVHDA as they have done into test, central, west there has NEVER been an Invitational held in the west. The closest to west ever was Denver, which is closer to Chicago than to many in the west. It is my understanding that there are tremendous grounds near Sacramento to host an Invitational. At the annual meeting, the delegates voted in favor of the motion. The EC denied the motion.

Why 6 dogs?

And who picks which 6 get it? If someone from Michigan has a work or family obligation (or wants more time to train) for the "Eastern" invite, is he allowed to drive to California to try his luck?

I don't know and I'm not trying to argue...just wondering if you have more insight...
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to NAVHDA