We did it!

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

We did it!

Postby ryanr » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:30 pm

This past winter I was part of a small core group that started our new Pocono Mountain NAVHDA Chapter. We recruited and got going with 20 founding members. In May, and now over 30 members strong we held our first test ever, a Natural Ability test. We were a mix of nerves and confidence we could pull it off with our mix of veteran and new NAVHDA member volunteers. Dealing with absolutely pouring rain the entire first day and part of the second, our volunteers worked hard and put on a great test, earning high compliments and reviews from our judges and test handlers. We even served up grilled hot dogs and hamburgers and all the picnic fixin's and desserts compliments of the chapter and our members. We also hosted a fun "Test Dinner" on Saturday with good food, drink & laughs.

We already had an October UT/NA test planned but soon after our May NA test we were approached about trying to hold a June UT/NA test. We agreed but not without some good debate. Next thing we know we're trepidly agreeing to make it a double test, with a Full 10 dog NA field and 6 dog UT field on Saturday and running it at 2 different locations (3 if you include driving 10 miles from the UT fields to our Duck Search water too.) Well last weekend, with the hard work from a number of our now 45 members we managed another highly successful test. That included providing lunches for everyone at 2 completely different sites. We also had another great Test Dinner at a local establishment (I'm always exhausted for it but ready enjoy them.) Oh and we've agreed to do double test now in October as well! :shock:
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: We did it!

Postby JTracyII » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:32 pm

Good work Ryan!
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby cohanzick creek » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:40 am

good work
cohanzick creek
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby cohanzick creek » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:40 am

good work
cohanzick creek
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:33 pm

Nice Job Ryan. Curious, what percent of your test entries are Chapter Members vs outside of your Chapter?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Scott Linden » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:58 pm

I'm sure you know there are too few tests and not enough chapters willing to hold them. Thank you.
www.scottlindenoutdoors.com
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
Scott Linden
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:23 am

AverageGuy wrote:Nice Job Ryan. Curious, what percent of your test entries are Chapter Members vs outside of your Chapter?

Probably between a third to maybe half the entries on the high end. This is my experience going back to my old chapter. That includes the pro trainer in our chapter who usually runs anywhere from 2 to 4 dogs in a test weekend. In our last test, he ran 4 of the 12 UT dogs, 3 of them in one day!
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:48 pm

Outstanding work Ryan!
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Tallman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:07 am

I ran my Pudelpointer pup at the June NA test,I found it to be very well run and everyone was very friendly! A lot of really great dogs strutted their stuff! Well done!
Tallman
Pup
Pup

Postby Deuce » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:17 pm

Been a while since I've been on here... glad to see this come together for y'all. I'll be up there in October, looking forward to it.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:30 pm

Well, the eve of our chapter's last tests of the year is here. We're doing a so-called "double double" test starting tomorrow. Saturday is a full NA test at one farm and a full Utility test at another farm (and our duck search water at a 3rd location). Then Sunday we have 2 full Utility tests at one farm (plus the duck search water). One group of dogs will start their test at the duck search water while the other full group will start at the field location. Plus we're providing complimentary lunch for everybody. Gonna be a hectic but hopefully fun & successful weekend. I'm about to hit the rack, 4:30AM comes early (I have to go get the coffee and pastries for the morning too then head to the test).
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Wilkey » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:21 pm

Very nice, you have no idea how much new members appreciate your efforts.
I will be giving back once I figure out what's going down.
Thanks
Wilkey
Started
Started

Postby Deuce » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:59 am

Very, very nicely done. Not many chapters can pull off a double weekend at two totally different locations, 3 really when you factor in the duck water. Let alone a chapter that is less than a year old.

Had a blast, sorry I didn't get to introduce myself. Losing my voice and quick turnarounds in the field didn't leave a lot of time to say hello. Looking forward to the next time.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:58 am

Ah, one of our judges correct? Thanks, for the compliments on our chapter. We're blessed with some great members (obviously some with lots of experience and know how) and we're all passionate about NAVHDA, training & hunting. It was a good first year for us.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deuce » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:29 am

Yep. Hopefully next time it won't be pouring rain and I'll have a better voice than a pre-pubescent 12 y/o. LOL.

Again, great chapter. I look forward to coming back in the future.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to NAVHDA